Are you tired of not being able to afford to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other Kentucky drivers.
You have multiple insurers to purchase coverage from, and even though it’s nice to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to find the lowest cost provider.
Buying car insurance in Shepherdsville is not that difficult. If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. But Kentucky consumers benefit from understanding how the larger insurance companies market on the web.
How to Get Cheap Car Insurance in Shepherdsville, KY
There are multiple methods to compare car insurance quotes, but some are less labor-intensive and much quicker. You can waste a few hours (or days) discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Shepherdsville, or you can stay home and use the internet to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Many popular insurance companies belong to an insurance system that allows shoppers to complete one form, and at least one company can provide price quotes for coverage. This eliminates the need for quote requests to each individual car insurance company. To find out how much you can save on car insurance click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is buyers cannot specifically choose which carriers to receive prices from. So if you prefer to pick individual companies to compare rates, we put together a list of low cost car insurance companies in Kentucky. Click to view list.
Whichever way you use, compare identical coverage limits for every quote you compare. If you use different values for each quote it’s not possible to truly determine the lowest rate in Shepherdsville. Slightly different coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when comparison shopping, quoting more will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Companies don’t always list every discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
To choose insurers with discount car insurance rates in Kentucky, follow this link.
Don’t I need to talk to an agent?
Some consumers would prefer to sit down with an agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is immediately sent to companies in Shepherdsville who will compete to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find better rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Picking a company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Who are their largest clients?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When researching a good Shepherdsville insurance agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures to choose from. Agencies in Shepherdsville can either be captive or independent.
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents can only write with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance or Liberty Mutual. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captives are very knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below are Shepherdsville captive agencies who may provide you with price quote information.
State Farm Insurance – 1729 Highway 44 E – Shepherdsville, KY 40165 – (502) 955-6065
Allstate Insurance – 1257 Highway 44 E – Shepherdsville, KY 40165 – (502) 955-7703
Kentucky Farm Bureau – 217 S Buckman St – Shepherdsville, KY 40165 – (502) 543-2320
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you include at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Shepherdsville that are able to give price quotes.
Lee and Marshall Insurance Inc – 143 S Buckman St – Shepherdsville, KY 40165 – (502) 543-7583
Hatfield Realty and Insurance – Highway 245 – Shepherdsville, KY 40165 – (502) 543-7567
To view a complete directory of licensed insurance agents in Shepherdsville, visit this site.
Upon receiving satisfactory answers for all questions you ask in addition to an acceptable price estimate, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better car insurance rates.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine premiums.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Teenage drivers in Kentucky are statistically proven to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher. Older insureds are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and get fewer tickets.
- Never go without insurance – Not having insurance is illegal and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time.You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Kentucky DMV.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Just one speeding ticket may increase your cost twenty percent or more. If you have dangerous violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Bump up deductibles to save – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and burglary. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Occupations like judges, social workers and accountants are shown to have higher rates than average due to high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as actors, athletes and retirees pay the least.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Pay less after the wedding – Being married helps lower the price on your policy. It is viewed as being more mature it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
The fine print in car insurance ads
Allstate and Progressive continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the companies make an identical promise that you’ll save big after switching your policy. How does each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the right customer that makes them money. An example of a driver they prefer could possibly be a mature driver, has no driving citations, and chooses high deductibles. A customer who meets those qualifications will get the preferred rates and most likely will cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who fall outside the requirements must pay a higher premium and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings. This illustrates why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. Because you never know which company will have the lowest rates.
Quote often and quote early
Lower-priced car insurance is available both online and also from your neighborhood Shepherdsville agents, so compare prices from both to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not provide online quoting and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.
Even more information can be found at the Kentucky Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out industry alerts, and read consumer alerts.