Finding cheap Clayton auto insurance on the internet is challenging for people who are new to price shopping online. Because there are so many insurance companies available, how can Clayton drivers have a chance to compare every company to locate the best available price?
It’s smart to shop coverage around occasionally because insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest price a couple years back you may be paying too much now. Starting right now, ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the easiest way to find lower rates on auto insurance.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. Shopping for the lowest cost auto insurance coverage in Clayton is quite easy. Although Delaware consumers benefit from understanding how big insurance companies market insurance on the web and apply this information to your search.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Quotes in Clayton, DE
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from different in Clayton, DEinsurance companies. The recommended way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The fastest way to get the best comparison quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for every auto insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form gets you coverage quotes .It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A harder way to compare prices requires visiting each company website to request a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, 21st Century and American Family. To find out each rate you need to go to every website to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Clayton, click here.
- The least recommended method to compare rates to insurance agents’ offices. The internet eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the trained guidance of a local Clayton agent. However, consumers can price shop your coverage online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you are comparing the exact same coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If the quotes have different liability limits it’s not possible to make an equal comparison in Clayton. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages can result in a big premium difference. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing more company’s prices provides better odds of finding a better price.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the best known and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance.
- Resident Student – Youth drivers who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Accident Forgiveness – A few companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
For a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Clayton, click here.
Aren’t my neighborhood agents an option?
Some consumers prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The best thing about comparing rates online is you may find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will battle to get your business. You don’t have to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. It doesn’t get any easier! Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Picking an provider requires more thought than just a low price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
If you prefer to view licensed agents in Clayton, please go to this site.
Once you have positive responses to your questions and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found an provider that meets your needs to service your policy.
You have some control over your rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
- Where you live is a factor – Living in small towns and rural areas can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Urban drivers regularly have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means higher likelihood of an accident.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Some auto insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal. Drivers may still find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- How your age affects price – Older insureds are more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers have a tendency to be less responsible when behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The most favorable rates are usually for economy passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Car features impact rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- How’s your driving record? – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one citation may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. If you have serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Safer cars get lower rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including poor customer service, not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims and policy non-renewal. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company can be pretty painless.
Cheaper auto insurance can be bought on the web and with local Clayton insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
When shopping online for auto insurance, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
To learn even more about auto insurance
Additional detailed information is available at the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Delaware drivers can find a variety of consumer forms, read consumer alerts, and download brochures.