Finding the most affordable Salem auto insurance over the internet may be rather challenging for beginners to shopping for insurance online. When there are so many companies competing online, how can consumers effectively compare the different rates to find the lowest price available?
If you are insured now or need new coverage, you can follow these tips to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Finding affordable protection in Salem is not that difficult. New Hampshire drivers just need to learn how to shop for auto insurance online.
How to Compare Salem Auto Insurance Rates
Finding cheaper auto insurance prices is not rocket science. Just spend a little time comparing price quotes provided by online insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The recommended way to find the lowest comparison rates is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do a different quote for every auto insurance company. In just a few minutes this one form will get you rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A harder way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to each company’s website and request a quote. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from Farmers, Progressive and Allstate. To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Salem, click here.
- The least efficient method of getting rate comparisons is to spend your day driving to and from local Salem insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the professional advice only provided by licensed Salem agents. However, consumers can get prices online but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll touch on that later.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make sure you use exactly the same information for every quote you compare. If the quotes have different liability limits it’s not possible to find the best deal in Salem.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Consumers in New Hampshire can’t get away from ads for car insurance savings from the likes of Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all say the same thing about savings if you change your coverage to them.
How do they all claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies can use profiling for the type of driver they prefer to insure. A good example of a driver they prefer could be a mature driver, has no driving citations, and drives newer vehicles. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who fall outside the “perfect” profile will have to pay higher premiums and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. Because of the profiling, drivers should get quotes from several different companies. It’s not possible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize every discount very clearly, so we researched some of the more common as well as the least known auto insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars or trucks on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class in high school.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of a qualifying organization could trigger savings on your policy.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you’re out of luck.
Neighborhood agents for auto insurance
Some consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! Good agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Salem who will give you bids for your coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. How’s that for easy!
Selecting an insurer needs to be determined by more than just the price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in New Hampshire?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When finding a good Salem insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures that you can select. Agencies in Salem can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. While both can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning how they differ because it can influence buying decisions.
Captive agencies write business for a single company and some examples include American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are well schooled on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from captives mainly due to the brand legacy and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a short list of captive agents in Salem who may provide you with price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 220 Main St – Salem, NH 03079 – (603) 898-5220
Independent agencies are not locked into one company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection.Many can place coverage with different regional companies which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in Salem willing to provide rate quotes.
- Insurance Express – 284 N Broadway # A – Salem, NH 03079 – (603) 898-7000
- Insurance Matters – 11 Hazelwood Dr – Salem, NH 03079 – (603) 434-2828
To view a full list of licensed insurance agents in Salem, click here to link.
Once you have received satisfactory answers to all your questions and locked in a price quote, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
More detailed New Hampshire auto insurance information can be read at the New Hampshire Insurance Department website. Visitors are able to download brochures, view a list of available companies, discover disciplinary actions, and file complaints about a company.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices, extreme rates for teen drivers and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Cheaper auto insurance is definitely available both online in addition to many Salem insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
We just showed you many ideas to lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may even find the lowest premiums are with the least-expected company.