Searching for cheaper Washington auto insurance online may at first seem to be somewhat intimidating for consumers new to comparing prices on the web. With so many insurance agents and insurance companies available, how are consumers able to efficiently compare all the different companies and get the lowest price available?
It’s important to shop coverage around yearly because rates are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you think you had the best rate six months ago there may be better deals available now. There are a lot of ways to save on auto insurance online but in this article, you’re going to get some solid techniques on how to lower your auto insurance premiums.
Iowa auto insurance discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there could be significant discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of purchase, but some must be specifically requested before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you may reduce your total bill.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with the same company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying coverage for multiple cars on a single policy qualifies for this discount.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Organization Discounts – Having an affiliation with a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Good Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO has discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, good student, seat belt use, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good driver, good student, multi-policy, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- Progressive may include discounts for online quote discount, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- Travelers may have discounts that include hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, new car, student away at school, and save driver.
- SAFECO has savings for multi-car, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, accident prevention training, safe driver, and homeowner.
- AAA offers discounts for pay-in-full, multi-policy, anti-theft, good driver, multi-car, AAA membership discount, and good student.
Double check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits may not apply in Washington. To see insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Iowa, click here.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you could use an agent’s help.
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Insurance advertising tricks
Consumers in Iowa can’t escape the ads that claim the lowest prices from companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all say the same thing of big savings if you switch your policy.
How does every company charge lower premium rates? Here is how they do it.
Insurance companies have an ideal profile for the right customer that earns them the highest profit. For example, this type of driver might be between the ages of 30 and 45, has never had a policy lapse, and drives less than 10,000 miles a year. A propective insured that fits those parameters will probably get the lowest prices and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t qualify for those criteria will have to pay higher prices which leads to the customer not purchasing. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings.
This really drives home the point why it is so important to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It’s just too difficult to predict which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest prices.
Some additional reading
Much more information about auto insurance in Iowa can be read on the Iowa Insurance Division website. Click here for link. Iowa consumers can get help finding coverage, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and file complaints about a company.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Washington
- Lowest Rates from Kent Washington Auto Insurance Agencies
- Shop For Washington Pennsylvania Car Insurance for the Lowest Rate With These Tricks
Summing up your auto insurance search
Low-cost auto insurance is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood Washington agents, so get from both of them to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not offer rate quotes online and these regional carriers work with independent agents.
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, denial of a claim, delays in paying claims or extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
While you’re price shopping online, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.