Comparing Westport car insurance rates online can seem like an uphill battle if you’re new to online quoting. But don’t be discouraged because comparing prices is actually very simple.
Consumers need to check car insurance prices on a regular basis because rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you had the best deal two years ago other companies may now be cheaper. There is too much inaccurate information about car insurance on the internet, so with this article, you’re going to get some great ideas on how to put money back in your pocket.
What impacts Westport insurance rates?
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into premiums.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Having a bad credit history is a important factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Therefore, if your credit is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The higher the mileage driven in a year the higher your rate. Most companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Cars not used for work or commuting receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- High numbers of claims are not good – Insurance companies in Connecticut give cheaper rates to insureds who do not file claims often. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Pay less after the wedding – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on car insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Do men or women drive better? – The statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Women and men are in accidents at about the same rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents. Drivers who live in large Connecticut cities regularly have more traffic problems and longer commute times. Higher commute times can result in more accidents.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Careers like real estate brokers, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates because of stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. On the other hand, jobs such as scientists, students and the unemployed pay the least.
Quick Westport Car Insurance Quotes
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rates from different in Westport, Connecticutinsurance companies. The best method to find competitive insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
Probably the best way to get the best comparison quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This easy form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry to each individual car insurance company. One form gets you coverage quotes from multiple companies. It’s the fastest way to compare.
A different way to compare prices is going to each individual company website and fill out their own quote form. For instance, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from Nationwide, 21st Century and Farmers. You would have to go to every website to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Westport, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make sure you use identical deductibles and coverage limits for every quote you compare. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be next to impossible to make an equal comparison in Westport. Slightly different insurance coverages can make a big difference in price. And when quoting car insurance, remember that having more price comparisons helps you find the best price.
Buyer beware of car insurance advertising tricks
Companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads in print and on television. All the ads make an identical promise of big savings if you switch your policy. How does each company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be between 25 and 40, has no driving citations, and has a high credit rating. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get the preferred rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Consumers who are not a match for this ideal profile must pay higher prices which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can confidently claim big savings.
This illustrates why drivers must get as many quotes as possible. You cannot predict the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Take discounts and save
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts to reduce the price significantly. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but a few must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially compared to bad drivers.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may save at least 10% off all policies.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in high school.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will cut your premiums.
To choose providers offering car insurance discounts in Westport, click here.
More information is located on the Connecticut Insurance Department website located here. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read state legal mandates and laws, and view a list of available companies.
A tidy conclusion
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, policy non-renewal, delays in paying claims or even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company can be pretty painless.
Discount car insurance can be bought online and also from your neighborhood Westport agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.