Expensive auto insurance can take a big chunk out of your personal savings and force you to make tough financial choices. Performing a rate comparison can be a smart way to cut your insurance bill.
Multiple insurers compete to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare auto insurance companies and get the best coverage at the lowest rate possible.
It’s a good habit to price shop coverage before your next renewal because prices fluctuate regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest rates six months ago you may be paying too much now. Don’t believe everything you read about auto insurance online but you can learn a lot of great tips on how to lower your auto insurance premiums.
Find hidden discounts to get affordable Wellington auto insurance rates
Some insurers don’t always publicize all disounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of some of the more common as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving when you .
- Accident-Free Discounts – Wellington drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them both with the same insurance company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- E-sign – A few larger online companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on your computer.
- Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount should help lower your auto insurance premiums.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for military active duty, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, defensive driver, multi-policy, and air bags.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including ease of repair, low natural disaster claims, accident-free, annual mileage, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for pay in full, switch companies, teen driver, bundle discounts, alternative fuel, electronic funds transfer, and early shopping.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for good student, student away at school, anti-theft, company car, and air bags.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for hybrid vehicle, good student, multi-car, safety features, newly married, and exclusive group savings.
- SAFECO has savings for drive less, safe driver, multi-car, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, and teen safe driver.
- Progressive may have discounts that include continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online signing, and online quote discount.
- USAA has discounts for good student, family discount, multi-vehicle, annual mileage, driver training, and vehicle storage.
If you want , ask every company which discounts they offer. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Wellington.
The majority of larger companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO allow consumers to get pricing from their websites. Getting quotes doesn’t take a lot of time as you just enter your required coverages into the quote form. When the form is submitted, their rating system automatically orders credit information and your driving record and returns a price quote based on the data you entered. Being able to quote online helps simplify price comparisons, but the process of having to visit many different websites and type in the same data can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. But it is imperative to perform this step if you want to get a lower rate.
There is a better way!
A less time-consuming method to get multiple rate quotes requires only one form that gets prices from many companies. It’s a real time-saver, requires less work, and makes rate comparisons much more enjoyable and efficient. After your information is entered, it is rated with multiple companies and you can pick any one of the quotes that you receive. If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, you can simply submit the application and buy the new coverage. The whole process can be completed in less than 10 minutes and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, click here and submit your coverage information. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you replicate coverages and limits as close as possible to your current policy. This helps ensure you are getting rate comparison quotes for similar insurance coverage.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether you may require specific advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
The cheapest auto insurance can be sourced both online and from local agencies, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not offer online quoting and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.