Have you fallen victim to high-priced auto insurance? Trust us when we tell you you’re not alone.
Online insurance companies like Geico, Progressive and Allstate continually hit you with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using these tips. Finding the best rates in Brunswick is not that difficult. Although Maine car owners can benefit by having an understanding of how the larger insurance companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
Compare Quotes for Brunswick Auto Insurance
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from local in Brunswick, Maineauto insurance companies. The easiest way to find the lowest rates is to get quotes online. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to compare a lot of rates at once is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company. In just a few minutes this one form will return quotes .
- Another way to obtain and compare quotes online is going to each company’s website and fill out their own quote form. For instance, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from Auto-Owners, Esurance and State Farm. You would have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Brunswick, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but ensure you’re using apples-to-apples coverage limits and deductibles for each comparison quote. If you compare unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to determine the lowest rate in Brunswick. Slightly different coverage limits can result in a big premium difference. It’s important to know that quoting more will increase your chances of finding the best rates.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- What are your deductibles? – Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage from fire, or theft. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Occupations such as lawyers, architects and financial analysts have higher average rates due to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations such as pilots, engineers and homemakers get better rates.
- Your location is important – Being located in less populated areas can be a good thing when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large Maine cities have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and longer commute times. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection in the event that you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Youthful drivers in Maine have a tendency to be less responsible behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Adding a teenage driver onto your auto insurance can break the bank. Older drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
Cut your auto insurance rates with discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there are discounts available to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- College Student – Youth drivers who are attending college and don’t have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
Keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
To choose providers offering auto insurance discounts in Brunswick, click here to view.
You are unique and your auto insurance should be too
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions can help discover whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Maine?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Maine?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
When you buy insurance online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
We just covered a lot of tips how to reduce auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
Additional information can be found on the website for the Maine Bureau of Insurance. Click here for link. Maine drivers can file complaints about a company, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read consumer alerts, and find out which companies have the most complaints.