Nobody looks forward to paying for auto insurance, especially knowing their premiums are too high. Numerous insurers battle for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider to find the best rate
If you are insured now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these techniques to find better prices while maintaining coverages. Finding affordable coverage in Madison is not that difficult. Alabama vehicle owners only need an understanding of the proper methods to get comparison rates online.
Buy Cheaper Auto Insurance with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
- Pay less if you’re married – Getting married actually saves money on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse means you’re more mature and responsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean men are worse drivers. Women and men have accidents at about the same rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a building, damage from fire, and burglary. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- No coverage gaps is important – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. And not only will your rates increase, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- High performance equals high price – The make and model of the car you own makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Alabama award cheaper rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Careers like real estate brokers, architects and stock brokers have the highest rates because of job stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and performers get better rates.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Madison
Finding cheaper auto insurance prices is actually quite simple. Consumers just need to spend a little time to compare rate quotes provided by online insurance companies. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
The fastest way consumers can analyze rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This easy form saves time by eliminating multiple quote forms for each company you want a rate for. Just one form gets you coverage quotes instantly.
A harder way to find lower rates is spending the time to visit each company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, let’s say you want rates from Auto-Owners, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Madison, click here.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverage limits for every company. If each company quotes different liability limits it will be impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Madison.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available that you may not know about. Most are applied when you complete an application, but a few need to be specially asked for prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
- Memberships – Participating in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on auto insurance.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application digitally online.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck. But any discount will bring down your overall premium however.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Much more information about auto insurance in Alabama can be found on the website for the Alabama Department of Insurance through this link. Alabama drivers can learn about insurance regulations, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and learn about specific coverages.
More related Madison auto insurance information:
- How to Know Youre Throwing Money Away for Auto Insurance in Madisonville
- Shop For Madison Auto Insurance for Less Money With These Tips
- New Methods for Paying Less for on Madison Car Insurance
Smart shoppers get results
While you’re price shopping online, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Affordable auto insurance is definitely available from both online companies and with local Madison insurance agents, so compare prices from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
We covered many ideas to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive.