Did you come to the realization that you have high-priced car insurance? It’s a common feeling and many Hinton drivers have buyer’s remorse. Big-name insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance persitently shower you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to see past the corporate glitz and take the time to shop coverage around.
It’s smart to check car insurance prices periodically due to the fact that insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the best quotes two years ago you will most likely find a better rate today. There is too much inaccurate information about car insurance on the internet, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn the best ways to put money back in your pocket.
If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to save some money using these techniques. Finding affordable coverage in Hinton is easy if you know what you’re doing. But West Virginia car owners need to have an understanding of how the larger insurance companies sell online.
How to find cheap car insurance in Hinton
There are a variety of methods to compare car insurance quotes, but there is one way that is easier and takes less work. You could spend the better part of a day discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Hinton, or you can stay home and use online quotes to achieve your goal.
All the larger companies take part in a program that enables customers to send in one quote, and every company returns a competitive quote. This system prevents you from having to do quotation requests to each individual car insurance company.
To get comparison pricing now click here to open in new window.
The one downside to comparing rates this way is that you can’t choose the providers you want pricing from. So if you want to choose individual companies to receive pricing from, we put together a list of car insurance companies in West Virginia. Click here to view list.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just try to use apples-to-apples coverage information on every quote. If you are comparing higher or lower deductibles it’s impossible to determine which rate is truly the best in Hinton. Quoting even small variations in limits could mean much higher rates. Keep in mind that comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding the best price.
Rate influencing factors
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, but other criteria are more transparent like where you live and annual miles driven. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine car insurance rates. If you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower premium levels.
- More traffic means higher claims – Being located in less populated areas is a positive aspect if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people living in that area corresponds to lower accident rates as well as less vandalism and auto theft. City drivers regularly have congested traffic and more severe claims. Longer commute distances means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Older drivers are lower risk – More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.Teenage drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- More stress means more cost – Occupations such as doctors, business owners and dentists tend to have higher rates than the rest of us because of intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. On the flip side, jobs like professors, students and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Alarm systems systems cut rates – Owning a car with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all aid in stopping car theft.
- Consider raising deductibles – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are how much you are required to spend before your car insurance pays a claim. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Prices for guys may be higher – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean females are better at driving than males. Women and men are in auto accidents at a similar rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
- Good drivers pay the best premiums – Drivers who don’t get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices as compared to those with violations. Only having one ticket may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who get multiple citations such as DUI or reckless driving may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Eliminate extra policy coverages – There are many extra add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying but may not be useful. Coverages like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and term life insurance are probably not needed. You may think they are a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Are you receiving every discount?
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but occassionally some discounts must be specifically requested before being credited.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars with ABS and/or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Anti-theft System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your .
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning a home in Hinton can save a few bucks since home ownership is proof of financial responsibility.
- Military Deployment Discount – Being deployed in the military may lower your prices slightly.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction with select insurance companies.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow their car insurance company to study driving patterns by installing a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it’s just not the way it works.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Hinton, click here.
How much car insurance do I need?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Don’t I need to get advice from an agent?
A small number of people would rather have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! A good thing about price shopping on the web is you may find better rates and also buy local. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is still important in Hinton.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Hinton who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Hinton auto insurance agents are either independent or captive
If you are wanting to find an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agents in Hinton are considered either independent or captive.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not restriced to one company so they can write business with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you will definitely want to get several quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Hinton that may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
J L Massie Insurance – 217 Temple St – Hinton, WV 25951 – (304) 466-1281
Captive agencies can only place business with one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are highly trained on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Picking an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. Before buying a policy, get answers to these questions.
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Which family members are covered?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
Leave no stone unturned
You just learned many tips how you can save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a small local company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Much more information about car insurance in West Virginia can be read on the located here. Consumers can get help finding coverage, discover disciplinary actions, read consumer alerts, and learn about specific coverages.