No car owner enjoys paying for auto insurance, especially when they could get a better deal. People have many car insurance companies to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have multiple companies, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare company pricing.
It’s a good habit to shop coverage around quite often because auto insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price two years ago you will most likely find a better rate today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the right way to find great coverage at a great price.
To find , there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from different companies. By far the easiest way to find cheaper rates is to jump online and get quotes. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This type of form keeps you from doing separate quote forms for each company you want a rate for. One form submission gets you coverage quotes from multiple low-cost companies.
- A different way to find better pricing is spending the time to visit the website of each company and request a quote. For example, let’s assume you need rates from Progressive, GEICO and Allstate. To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which can get old fast.
To view a list of companies in Plankinton, click here.
- The hardest method to compare rates is to spend time driving to all the different Plankinton insurance agencies. Comparing rates online eliminates this option unless you prefer the advice and guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible with some companies comparison shop online but buy the policy through an agent.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make sure you use nearly identical information on every quote you get. If you use unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s impossible to get a fair rate comparison in Plankinton. Just a small difference in limits can make a big difference in price. And when price shopping your coverage, comparing a large number of companies increases your odds of finding the best offered rates.
Buy cheap auto insurance with these tips
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the things that help determine your policy premiums. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower premium levels.
The list below includes most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
- Lower stress equals lower premiums – Do you work in a high-stress field? Jobs such as lawyersairline pilots and dentists generally pay higher average rates in part from stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs like scientists, historians and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Do you need those extra policy coverages? – There are a lot of extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for things like rental car coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and motor club memberships could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when buying your policy, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Save miles driven and save money – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Many insurance companies apply a rate partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Males tend to take more risk – The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn’t prove that women are better drivers. Men and women have accidents at about the same rate, but men have costlier accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also get higher numbers of serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Car insurance companies don’t always list the entire discount list very clearly, so the list below contains a few of the more common and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- E-sign Discounts</strong – A few larger online companies will give a small break simply for signing on the web.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them with the same company you may save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Membership in Organizations – Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Plankinton Homeowners Discount – Owning your own home or condo can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Early Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once as opposed to paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
Popular auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are shown below.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for business and professional, homeowner, multi-car, switch companies, alternative fuel, and youthful driver.
- Esurance may include discounts for defensive driver, Pac-12 alumni, DriveSense, online quote, and good student.
- State Farm has savings for passive restraint, good student, accident-free, anti-theft, and student away at school.
- GEICO may offer discounts for anti-theft, five-year accident-free, federal employee, seat belt use, multi-policy, military active duty, and good student.
- Allstate offers premium reductions for early signing, new car, EZ pay plan discount, economy car, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft.
When comparing rates, check with every company how you can save money. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Plankinton. For a list of insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in South Dakota, click this link.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying coverage, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you would benefit from professional advice.
- When should I not file a claim?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Local Plankinton auto insurance agents and auto insurance
Some people would rather sit down with an agent and that is a smart decision One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, you can always visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurance company is decision based upon more than just a low price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- How long has their agency been open in Plankinton?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
Two different types of car insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a good Plankinton insurance agent, there are two different types of agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Plankinton can be categorized as either captive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents generally can only insure with one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Captive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Captive insurance agents are well schooled on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that enables them to quote your coverage through many different auto insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you get rate quotes from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Plankinton who can help you get price quote information.
Harris Agency – 117 N Main St – Plankinton, SD 57368 – (605) 942-7220
Gerhard/Krohmer Agency – 101 S Main St – Plankinton, SD 57368 – (605) 942-7636
To choose from more licensed insurance agents in Plankinton, feel free to see this complete selection of insurance agencies in Plankinton.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Some insurance companies may not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents. Budget-friendly auto insurance can be purchased on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
We just covered some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may discover the lowest rates are with the smaller companies. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Learn more about auto insurance in South Dakota
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the South Dakota Division of Insurance website. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, view agent and company licensing information, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and view a list of available companies.