Nobody I know anticipates paying for auto insurance, especially knowing they could find better rates elsewhere. Popular companies such as State Farm, Farmers Insurance, Geico and Allstate increase brand awareness with catchy ads and consumers find it hard to avoid their marketing magic and take the time to shop coverage around.
Six tips to get lower Wise auto insurance prices
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. If you have some idea of what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that can earn you lower premium levels. Many factors are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but others are less obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
The items below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by your company to calculate your prices.
- Premiums are affected by your credit rating – Having a good credit rating is likely to be a major factor in determining your rates. People that have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with worse credit. Therefore, if your credit rating can use some improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit.
- Pleasure use or commuting – Driving more miles in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Autos that have low annual miles receive lower rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Make sure your vehicle rating shows annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Most auto insurance companies give a discount for people that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be 10 percent or more. Even with this discount applied, you may still want to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a chance you can save even more by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Youthful vs. older drivers – Older, more experienced drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and get fewer tickets.Inexperience drivers have been known to be easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher.
- Theft deterrents save – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack can help prevent vehicle theft.
- Liability is cheap – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if ever you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. It is affordable coverage compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Use discounts on Virginia auto insurance
Some insurers don’t always list the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so we researched both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to bring down your rates.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could qualify you for better rates.
- Drive Less and Save – Maintaining low annual mileage can qualify you for lower prices on the low mileage vehicles.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying a new car model can cost up to 25% less because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for several vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Smart Student Discounts – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any qualifying discounts will help lower your policy premium.
Companies and some of their more popular discounts are shown below.
- Geico may have discounts that include military active duty, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, and federal employee.
- Travelers has discounts for driver training, good student, multi-car, student away at school, and save driver.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for Farm Bureau membership, anti-theft, family plan, defensive driving, good student, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for early shopping, youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, distant student, and teen driver.
- Esurance discounts include multi-policy, homeowner, defensive driver, multi-car, safety device, claim free, and online shopper.
- State Farm may include discounts for defensive driving training, good driver, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and good student.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, good student, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for ease of repair, good student, multi-policy, annual mileage, age of vehicle, type of vehicle, and location of vehicle.
When getting , it’s a good idea to each insurance company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not be available in every state. To see insurance companies with significant discounts in Wise, click here to view.
Neighborhood agents and auto insurance
A lot of people still like to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Licensed agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheap auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this short form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to you. If you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Selecting a company requires you to look at more than just the price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Wise?
- How many years have they been established?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Not all car insurance agents are the same
When narrowing the list to find a local Wise insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents to choose from. Agents are considered either captive or independent (non-captive). Both sell affordable auto insurance policies, but it’s a good idea to understand the difference between them because it may have an impact on your selection of an agent.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-80.jpg" alt="Virginia car insurance quote”/>
Agents that elect to be captive can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Captive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These agents are not employed by one company so as a result can place your coverage through many companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Wise willing to provide price quote information.
Wise Insurance Inc – 120 Roberts Ave SW # A – Wise, VA 24293 – (276) 328-5441
Donnie Counts Insurance – 301 Main St SE – Wise, VA 24293 – (276) 328-3171
CSE Agency Inc – 1724 Norton Rd SW – Wise, VA 24293 – (276) 679-7939
To view more Wise insurance agents, here is a directory of Wise Virginia auto insurance agents.
Can switching companies really save?
Consumers can’t ignore all the ads that claim the best premium rates by Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies tend to make the same promise of big savings if you switch to them.
It sounds good, but how can they all charge less that you’re paying now? It’s all in the numbers.
Auto insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that will not have excessive claims. For example, a desirable insured may be between the ages of 30 and 45, has few claims, and does not commute to work. Anybody who matches that profile will get low premium rates and will save some money.
Potential insureds who don’t meet these standards will be quoted higher prices which results in the customer not buying. The ad wording is “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how insurance companies can confidently make claims like that. Because each company has a different risk profile, drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It’s just not possible to know with any certainty which company will give you the biggest savings.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions might point out whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Virginia?
- Do no-fault laws apply in Virginia?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Informative consumer insurance sites
More detailed Virginia auto insurance information is located at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.
More related Wise auto insurance information:
- Utica Insurance Agents How to Choose Wisely
- Hialeah Florida Insurance Agents How to Choose Wisely
- Modesto California Car Insurance Agents How to Choose Wisely
Persistent drivers can save
There are still a few companies who may not have online rate quotes and many times these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent insurance agents. Budget-conscious auto insurance can be sourced both online as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. Regional companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.