Overpriced car insurance can deplete your personal savings and possibly require you to analyze your spending habits. Numerous auto insurance companies battle for your hard-earned dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the best coverage at the lowest rate
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to save some money using these techniques. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Howard is easy if you know what you’re doing. Although South Dakota consumers benefit from understanding the methods companies use to price online insurance and take advantage of how the system works.
There are a lot of ways you can shop for car insurance but one way is less time-consuming than others. You can waste a lot of time talking to local insurance agents in Howard, or you could use online quoting to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Most major companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to enter their policy data once, and each company can provide price quotes based on that data. This eliminates the need for quote forms to every company.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now click to open in new window.
The only downside to using this type of form is you cannot specify which providers to get quotes from. If you prefer to choose specific providers to request quotes from, we have assembled a list of low cost car insurance companies in South Dakota. Click here for list of insurance companies in South Dakota.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but make darn sure you compare the same coverages with each company. If your comparisons have different data you will not be able to determine which company has the best rates in Howard. Just a small difference in insurance coverages or limits could throw off the whole comparison. And when comparison shopping, having more price comparisons gives you a better chance of getting more affordable insurance.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Some providers do not advertise every possible discount very well, so below is a list both the well known and the harder-to-find credits available to you.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-17.jpg" alt="Howard South Dakota car insurance“/>
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you depending on your car insurance provider.
- Defensive Driving Course – Passing a course teaching defensive driver skills could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Sign Online – A handful of companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on their website.
- Accident Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few car insurance companies give discounts for switching policies early. This can save 10% or more.
- Theft Deterent – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow driving data collection to track driving manner through the use of a telematics system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might get better premium rates if their driving habits are good.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront as opposed to paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- State Farm may include discounts for Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, student away at school, good driver, and accident-free.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers discounts include save driver, driver training, hybrid/electric vehicle, multi-policy, and good student.
- American Family has discounts for air bags, good driver, good student, defensive driver, Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, and accident-free.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for new move discount, newly retired, good student, exclusive group savings, newly married, and new vehicle discount.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders in your area. If you would like to view insurers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Howard, click here to view.
Get lower-cost premiums by understanding these factors
Many factors are used when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. If you know what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may result in lower premium levels.
Shown below are some of the things car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Higher prices for car insurance policy lapses – Not having insurance is against the law and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance could result in a revoked license or a big fine.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – A driver’s credit score will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. If your credit history can be improved, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Insureds with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Save money with theft deterrents – Buying a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems help track and prevent car theft.
- More performance means higher rates – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are insuring makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. The lowest premiums tend to be for smaller low performance passenger vehicles, but your final cost has many other factors.
- With age comes lower rates – Teen drivers in South Dakota are statistically shown to be easily distracted when driving so car insurance rates are higher. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents , and are generally more financially stable.
Does car insurance advertising bend the truth?
Companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO regularly use ads in print and on television. All the ads make the point that you can save just by switching to their company. How do they all charge lower premium rates? This is the trick they use.
Many companies quote their best rates for the type of driver that is profitable for them. A good example of this type of insured should be married and over the age of 30, has a clear driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. Any new insured that fits those parameters receives the best prices and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Drivers who cannot meet those criteria will see higher premium rates which usually ends up with the customer not purchasing. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can confidently make the claims of big savings. That is why you absolutely need to compare as many as you can. It’s just not possible to know which company will have the lowest prices for your situation.
Better coverage you can count on
We covered a lot of techniques to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may be surprised to find that the best price on car insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Cheap car insurance can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Howard agents, so get from both of them to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
When shopping online for car insurance, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
More South Dakota car insurance resources
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the South Dakota Division of Insurance website. Visitors are able to read consumer alerts, read state legal mandates and laws, and discover disciplinary actions.