Purchasing affordable Vestavia Hills auto insurance on the web is challenging for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. With such a large number of companies competing online, how can you have a chance to compare them all to find the cheapest available price?
Why you might pay higher rates in Vestavia Hills
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get big savings.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your rates.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – A driver’s credit history is a important factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit history is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with lower credit scores.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Coverages like roadside assistance, towing coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Some insurers provide better rates to insureds who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles that are left in the garage qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your auto insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Your job and insurance rates – Occupations such as judges, architects and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates due to high stress levels and long work hours. Conversely, jobs such as pilots, engineers and the unemployed receive lower rates.
Vestavia Hills Auto Insurance Comparisons
All major auto insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive provide prices online. Getting online quotes doesn’t take much effort as you just type in your coverage preferences into the quote form. When complete, their rating system makes automated requests for information on your driving record and credit history and gives you a price quote based on these and other factors.
Quoting online makes comparing rates easy, but the process of having to visit each company’s website and repetitively enter the same data into a form is repetitive and time-consuming. Unfortunately, it is important to perform this step in order to find better prices.
An easier way to compare rates is to use a quote form that analyzes rates from a lot of companies. It saves time, eliminates repetitive work, and makes price shopping online a little more enjoyable. After your information is entered, it is rated and you are able to buy your choice of the quotes that you receive.
If the quotes result in lower rates, you simply finish the application and buy the new coverage. This process can be completed in a matter of minutes and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
In order to compare rates now, simply click here to open in new window and submit the form. If you currently have coverage, we recommend that you enter as shown on your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will receive an apples-to-apples comparison for the exact same coverage.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Vestavia Hills can save you money because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will bring down your overall premium however.
For a list of insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Alabama, click here to view.
Quote online but still have a local agent
Some people just want to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local businesses is important especially in Vestavia Hills.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Vestavia Hills who will battle for your business. You won’t need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. Now that’s easy! You can find better rates and a licensed agent to work with.
If you want to select a specific agent in Vestavia Hills, view this link.
Selecting an insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. Some important questions to ask are:
- How long has their agency been open in Vestavia Hills?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Upon getting acceptable answers to all your questions and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found an provider that can properly insure your vehicles.
You may need specialized coverage
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Every situation is different.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Alabama?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Additional auto insurance information can be found on the Alabama Department of Insurance website through this link. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, read industry bulletins, and get help finding coverage.
Keep this in mind
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped collision coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Lower-priced auto insurance can be purchased online as well as from independent agents in Vestavia Hills, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to save on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company.