Are you tired of not being able to afford to pay your car insurance bill each month? You are no different than many other Michigan consumers.
Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Geico and Farmers Insurance constantly bombard you with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the corporate glitz and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s a good habit to compare rates quite often because rates tend to go up over time. Just because you found the best rates six months ago you may be paying too much now. So forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in one of the best ways to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to reduce your rates substantially using these techniques. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Flint is easy if you know what you’re doing. But Michigan drivers can benefit by having an understanding of how insurance companies market insurance on the web and apply this information to your search.
Comparison of Auto Insurance in Flint
The are a couple different ways of comparing price quotes and find the best price. The simplest method to find the lowest rates is to use the internet to compare rates. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The first (and easiest) way to find the lowest comparison rates is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This type of form prevents you from having to do separate quote forms to each individual auto insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form gets you coverage quotes from multiple low-cost companies.
- A more time consuming way to get quotes online is going to the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want to compare USAA, State Farm and American Family. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Flint, click here.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make darn sure you compare apples-to-apples coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If the quotes have higher or lower deductibles it’s not possible to determine the lowest rate in Flint. Just a small difference in coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that quoting more helps you find the best offered rates.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Companies don’t always publicize all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find ways to save on auto insurance.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who live away from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially when compared with bad drivers.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for more than one vehicle on the same auto insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car is cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- What are the best liability limits?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
For more information
More detailed Michigan auto insurance information can be found at the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website. Consumers can learn about insurance regulations, file complaints about a company, and learn about specific coverages.