Overwhelmed by the wide range of auto insurance company choices in Tigard? You have a lot of company. You have so many options available that it can turn into a challenge to locate the lowest price.
Take discounts and save
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount very clearly, so we break down some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven – A few companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Own a Home – Being a homeowner may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies will give a small break for buying your policy on their website.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Comprehensive Auto Insurance Comparison in Tigard, Oregon
Finding a lower price on insurance is a fairly straight forward process. Consumers just need to spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- One of the simplest ways to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This form keeps you from doing repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. One simple form will return price quotes from all major companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A less efficient way to get quotes online requires a trip to each company website and complete a new quote form. For instance, let’s say you want to compare Nationwide, Allstate and Travelers. To get each rate you have to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Tigard, click here.
- The hardest way to compare rates is driving around to local Tigard insurance agencies. Buying insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the professional advice of a licensed agent. It is possible to comparison shop online and get advice from an agent in your area.
Which method you use is up to you, but ensure you’re using exactly the same coverages and limits with every price quote. If each company quotes different liability limits you will not be able to determine the best price in Tigard.
Rate influencing factors
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine rates.
- Special features that cut premiums – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping your vehicle from being stolen.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Lower rates come with age – Youthful drivers in Oregon have a tendency to get distracted easily when driving so auto insurance rates are higher. Having to add a youthful driver to your auto insurance policy can be very expensive. More mature drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, vandalism, and burglary. The more money you have to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Always keep insurance in force – Letting your insurance expire is a sure-fire way to increase your auto insurance rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine.
- Pay less after the wedding – Being married can actually save you money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – The majority of insurance companies give discounts to people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to 10 percent or more. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Compare online but buy from a local Tigard agent
Some consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent. Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to companies in Tigard who will battle for your insurance coverage. You never need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Oregon?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
Tigard insurance agents are either independent or captive
When looking for local Tigard agents, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Tigard agents are classified as either independent or captive. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference between them because it can influence your agent selection.
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captives are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Consumers frequently buy from captive agents partially due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Shown below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Tigard who can help you get comparison quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 12900 SW Pacific Hwy # 220 – Tigard, OR 97223 – (503) 620-8000
- American Family Insurance – 12202 SW Main St – Tigard, OR 97223 – (503) 639-2169
- Farmers Insurance Group – 10580 SW Mcdonald St # 101 – Tigard, OR 97224 – (503) 639-1847
- Allstate Insurance – 12520 SW 68th Ave # A – Tigard, OR 97223 – (503) 620-5999
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company but rather can write business with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, we recommend you include price quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Listed below are Tigard independent agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- Jeff Solem Agency – 7160 SW Hazelfern Rd # 800 – Tigard, OR 97224 – (503) 601-2078
- Dana Preston Insurance – – Tigard, OR 97223 – (503) 684-8024
- CNA Insurance – 9900 SW Greenburg Rd # 245 – Tigard, OR 97223 – (503) 624-6800
To view a complete directory of auto insurance agents in Tigard, please view this page.
Once you have received positive responses for all questions you ask and an acceptable price quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that is a good match to provide auto insurance coverage.
More quotes mean more savings
Cost effective auto insurance can be found on the web in addition to many Tigard insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not provide online quoting and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, being labeled a high risk driver, delays in responding to claim requests and lack of trust in their agent. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price.
Even more information can be read at the Oregon Insurance Division website. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read industry bulletins, and find a variety of consumer forms.