Did a good deal turn into overpriced car insurance? You’re in good company because many Covington consumers are in the same pinch. Companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance all claim big savings, bombarding you with ad campaigns and it is difficult to sift through the bull and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s important to compare prices periodically because car insurance rates trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best premium rates last year you can probably find a lower rate today. There is a lot of wrong information about car insurance online, but you can learn some excellent ideas to save money.
If you are insured now or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to find the best rates and still get good coverage. Finding the best rates in Covington is easy if you know what you’re doing. Virginia drivers just need to know the proper way to compare price quotes online.
Discounts can really help to save
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there could be significant discounts to help offset the cost. Certain credits will be shown at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them participate in a local driver’s education class in school.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will let one accident slide before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a vehicle that is new is cheaper due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your homeowners and auto insurance and place coverage with the same company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. It can save you around 10%.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Distant Student Discount – Youth drivers who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than their less cautious counterparts.
Don’t be shocked that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Some of the insurance companies that may include most of the discounts above may include but are not limited to:
Double check with all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Some discounts may not apply in your state. To see a list of insurers that offer discounts in Covington, follow this link.
Finding a lower price on insurance is not rocket science. Consumers just need to take time comparing rates from some recommended companies. Insurance prices can be quoted using a couple different methods.
Hands down the most simple method to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This form eliminates the need for separate forms for each price estimate. Just one form gets insurance cost estimates from several companies.
A more difficult way to analyze rates requires a trip to each company’s website and go through the quote process again. For example, we’ll pretend you want to view quotes from Liberty Mutual, Esurance and Progressive. In order to compare rates, you need to visit each site and repeatedly enter your information, which can take a lot of time. For a list of links to insurance companies in Covington, click here.
The least efficient and most time consuming method to get price estimates is to drive around to insurance agents’ offices. The ability to quote online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the professional assistance of a licensed agent. Drivers can price shop your coverage online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing apples-to-apples deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If you use different data then you won’t be able to make a fair comparison in Covington.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether or not you may require specific advice.
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Virginia minimum liability coverage?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Lower-priced car insurance is definitely available both online in addition to many Covington insurance agents, so get from both of them to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through local independent agents.
We just covered a lot of techniques to reduce car insurance rates online. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with the least-expected company. They may only write in your state and offer lower auto insurance rates than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
When getting , it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.