Paying for high-priced auto insurance can dwindle your personal savings and force you to make sacrifices. Shopping your coverage around is free and is an excellent way to lower your monthly bill.
Big-name insurance companies like Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm continually bombard you with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to ignore the propoganda and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
You should make it a habit to get comparison quotes on a regular basis since insurance rates are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the best price a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the proper way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
How insurance companies determine rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – Driving more miles in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance coverage shows the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent auto theft.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Many insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. If you currently are using one company, you still need to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still find a better deal by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as doctors, executives and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates attributed to high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, occupations such as farmers, students and performers receive lower rates.
- Liability coverage is cheap – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there are discounts available that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you quote, but some must be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars or trucks on the same auto insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit can result in better rates.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will cut the cost of coverage.
To choose insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Lagrange, click this link.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
Some consumers prefer to get advice from a local agent. The best thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And supporting small agencies is definitely important in Lagrange.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the quote information gets sent to companies in Lagrange who will battle for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. Now that’s easy! It’s the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Do you need an independent or captive car insurance agent?
If you’re trying to find a good insurance agency, there are a couple of types of agencies from which to choose. Lagrange agents are categorized either independent or captive.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, you should always include multiple independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below are Lagrange independent agencies that are able to give price quote information.
Acceptance Insurance Co – 207 N Lewis St – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 845-1900
Fling Insurance – 37 S Lafayette Sq – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 884-1505
Direct General Ins Agency – 101 New Franklin Rd # B – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 882-8800
Bruce Green Agency – 187 S Davis Rd – Lagrange, GA 30241 – (706) 884-3026
Lowell Smith Agency – 100 S Lewis St – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 884-5696
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents write business for a single company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Lagrange that are able to give price quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 101 New Franklin Rd – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 885-0646
State Farm Insurance – 14 N Lafayette Sq – Lagrange, GA 30240 – (706) 882-0046
Farm Bureau Insurance – 1337 Upper Big Springs Rd – Lagrange, GA 30241 – (706) 882-2333
To view a complete directory of captive agencies in Lagrange, go to this page.
Choosing an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Georgia?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
Upon getting good answers to your questions and an acceptable price quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that will service your policy.
Auto insurance myths debunked
Auto insurance providers like Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm regularly use ads in print and on television. They all say the same thing about savings if you move your coverage to them. How does each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a certain “appetite” for the right customer that makes them money. A good example of a desirable insured could be a mature driver, has no tickets, and has a high credit rating. Any driver who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save a lot of money.
Consumers who do not match the “perfect” profile will be quoted a more expensive rate and this can result in business not being written. The ads state “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That is how insurance companies can state the savings.
This emphasizes why drivers must get as many quotes as possible. You cannot predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Find out more about auto insurance
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the website for the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner through this link. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, learn about specific coverages, and report car insurance fraud.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is definitely available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Lagrange agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
You just read some good ideas how to shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Geico and State Farm.