Are you a victim of an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse.
Since consumers have many choices of insurance companies, it’s difficult to find the lowest cost provider.
It’s a good habit to compare rates periodically due to the fact that insurance rates tend to go up over time. Even if you got the lowest rates on your last policy you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance on the internet, so we’re going to give you some excellent ideas to find cheap car insurance.
Save Money with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations such as lawyers, social workers and financial analysts have higher average rates because of high stress levels and long work hours. Conversely, jobs such as pilots, engineers and performers get better rates.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance level of the car you own makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest base rates are usually for low performance passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Your spouse saves you money – Getting married can get you a discount when buying car insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – The majority of car insurance companies will award you with lower prices to people who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you may still want to compare rates to ensure the best deal.
Compare Car Insurance Today
All the larger car insurance companies like Allstate, Geico and Progressive give insurance quotes on their websites. The process is pretty easy as you simply type in your personal and coverage information into the quote form. When the form is submitted, the system automatically retrieves your driving record and credit report and returns pricing information based on these factors. Online quotes streamlines rate comparisons, but the time required to go to several different sites and fill out multiple forms is not the best way to spend an afternoon. Unfortunately, it is important to perform this step in order to get a better rate.
Quote rates the easy way
An easier way to locate the lowest prices is to use a quote form to return rates from several companies at one time. The form is fast, requires much less work on your part, and makes comparison shopping much more enjoyable and efficient. Immediately after submitting the form, it is quoted and you are able to buy your choice of the quotes returned. If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, you can simply submit the application and purchase the new policy. The whole process takes just a few minutes to complete and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To quickly use this form to compare rates, simply click here to open in new window and enter your vehicle and coverage information. To compare your current rates, we recommend you enter the coverage information as close as possible to your current policy. Doing this assures you will receive comparison quotes for the exact same coverage.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Companies don’t always publicize all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list both the well known as well as the least known discounts you could be receiving.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Student in College – Any of your kids who live away from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on the same car insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in Alaska, click here to view.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
Certain consumers would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this short form, your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your business. There is no need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. Now that’s easy! You’ll get the best rates AND an agent nearby.
Choosing an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
The following are Fairbanks auto insurance companies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Kenneth A Murray Insurance – 300 Barnette St, Fairbanks, AK 99701 – (907) 456-6646
Allstate Insurance – 2142 Airport Way # A, Fairbanks, AK 99701 – (907) 456-1264
Gordan Wear Agency – 455 3rd St, Fairbanks, AK 99701 – (907) 452-4411
Kelley Insurance Assoc Inc – 100 Cushman St # 102, Fairbanks, AK 99701 – (907) 451-6863
State Farm Insurance – 1401 Turner St, Fairbanks, AK 99701 – (907) 452-6015
After getting reasonable responses for all questions you ask and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located an insurer that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions can help discover if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Alaska?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional detailed information can be found at the Alaska Division of Insurance website. Alaska drivers can view agent and company licensing information, learn about insurance regulations, and find out industry alerts.
Do the work, save more money
As you restructure your insurance plan, never reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Budget-conscious car insurance is definitely available on the web and with local Fairbanks insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.