Have you fallen victim to an expensive car insurance policy? It’s quite common and many Manitou Springs drivers have buyer’s remorse. Multiple car insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies to find the absolute cheapest price
There are a lot of ways to shop for car insurance, and some are more efficient than others. You could waste a few hours talking to insurance companies in Manitou Springs, or you can stay home and use the web to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Most car insurance companies are enrolled in a marketplace that enables customers to complete one form, and each company returns a competitive quote determined by their information. This prevents consumers from doing repetitive form submissions to every company.
To compare rates using this form now click here to open in new window.
The one downside to using this type of system is you don’t know exactly which insurance companies you will receive quotes from. If you wish to select from a list of companies to compare, we put together a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in Colorado. Click to view list.
Which method you use is up to you, but do your best to use nearly identical coverage limits and deductibles with every price quote. If your comparisons have different data it will be impossible to make an equal comparison in Manitou Springs.
Find discounts to get cheap Manitou Springs car insurance rates
Car insurance companies do not advertise the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both the well known and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- No Charge for an Accident – but some companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Insurance companies that have these benefits are:
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts they offer. A few discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. To choose insurers with discount rates in Colorado, click here to view.
Why your cost might be higher
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand the rating factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that can help you get better car insurance rates. Many things are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, although some other factors are more obscure like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
- Infrequent drivers can save – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies apply a rate based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that have low annual miles cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. Double check that your policy is showing the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Incidental coverages that aren’t used – There are a ton of additional coverages that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing, and term life insurance are probably not needed. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them get rid of them and save.
- Car insurance policy lapses increase prices – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and companies may charge more for letting your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time. You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Colorado department of motor vehicles.
- Use but don’t abuse your insurance – If you are a frequent claim filer, you should expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in Colorado generally give the lowest premiums to insureds who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Some insurers provide discounts to clients that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to 10 percent or more. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still compare other insurance prices to ensure the best deal.
- Safeguard your assets with liability protection – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage will afford coverage if ever you are ruled to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
When to talk to an agent
A small number of people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Professional insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find cheaper auto insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local agencies is important particularly in Manitou Springs.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to participating agents in Manitou Springs that can give you for your coverage. You don’t have to contact an agency because prices are sent to your email. If you want to get a price quote for a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Is a captive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
When narrowing the list to find a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agents in Manitou Springs may be either captive agents or independent agents. Both can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s worth learning how they are different since it can affect the type of agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents often have affiliation with several companies and that allows them to write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If they quote lower rates, they simply move the coverage in-house which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you include price quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Captive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be captive have only one company to place business with and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Captive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Captive agencies are well trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a short list of captive agencies in Manitou Springs that are able to give rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 1107 Manitou Ave # 5 – Manitou Springs, CO 80829 – (719) 685-9019
To view agents near you, link to this full listing of insurance agents in Manitou Springs, CO.
Choosing an car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Colorado?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
Additional car insurance information is located on the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance website. Click here for link. Visitors are able to read consumer alerts, find out which companies have the most complaints, and discover disciplinary actions.
Don’t give up on cheaper premiums
We covered many ways to get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get premium rates for, the better likelihood of getting . Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be sourced from both online companies and with local Manitou Springs insurance agents, so you need to with both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies may not offer rates over the internet and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.