Paying low cost premium rates for Mansfield car insurance could be difficult for people new to comparison shopping online. You have so many different companies and agents to choose from that it can easily be a real challenge to find the best price in Texas.
Why you might pay higher rates in Mansfield
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand the rating factors that help determine your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that could result in much lower annual insurance costs. Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
The list below includes some of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Responsible credit means lower rates – Having a good credit rating can be an important factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit. If your credit is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle if you clean up your credit.
- How’s your driving record? – Even a single speeding ticket or other violation can increase rates by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who get multiple citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Certain occupations raise prices – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers like military personnel, business owners and accountants generally pay the highest rates because of high stress and long work days. On the flip side, careers like farmers, engineers and performers pay the least.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets – The liability coverage on your policy will provide protection if you are found liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. This coverage provides for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Increase comp and collision deductibles to save – Deductibles for physical damage state the amount of money you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered are collision with another vehicle, collision with a deer, and damage from wind. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Single vs. married – Having a significant other may cut your premiums on car insurance. It usually means you are more mature and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
- Gender as a rate factor – Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that females are better drivers. Males and females cause auto accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage. They also get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
Comparing car insurance rates can be a lot of work if you don’t utilize the most efficient way. You can waste a lot of time driving to local insurance agents in Mansfield, or you could use online quotes to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Many popular insurance companies take part in a program that enables customers to submit one quote, and at least one company then returns a price quote for coverage. This prevents consumers from doing form submissions for each company. To find out how much you’re overpaying now click here to open in new window.
The single downside to pricing coverage this way is you don’t know exactly which providers you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to pick from a list of companies to receive pricing from, we have a page of car insurance companies in Texas. Click here to view list.
Take whichever approach you prefer, but make sure you use the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for each comparison quote. If your comparisons have different liability limits it will be nearly impossible to make a fair rate comparison in Mansfield.
Verify you’re applying every discount
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are just wasting money.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Federal Government Employee – Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you with a few car insurance companies.
- College Student Discount – Youth drivers who live away from home to go to college and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Taking part in a defensive driver course could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Early Switch Discount – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Paperwork-free – A few insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on your computer.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds who allow their car insurance company to look at when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags could see savings as much as 30%.
- Student Discounts – This discount can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
You should keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts for good student, anti-theft, defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, and student away at school.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for teen driver, pay in full, switch companies, youthful driver, alternative fuel, electronic funds transfer, and distant student.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Geico offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, federal employee, air bags, and membership and employees.
- Auto-Owners Insurance discounts include paperless, teen driver, company car, group or association, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, defensive driver, anti-theft, bundle, good student, vehicle fuel type, and air bag.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for safe driver, multi-policy, good student, renewal discount, 55 and retired, multi-vehicle, and driver training.
- USAA may include discounts for vehicle storage, new vehicle, multi-vehicle, annual mileage, defensive driver, driver training, and good student.
Before buying, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. A few discounts may not apply in Mansfield. To see companies that offer discounts in Texas, click this link.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When choosing adequate coverage, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions might point out if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Even more information can be found at the Texas Department of Insurance website. Texas consumers can find out industry alerts, view agent and company licensing information, and learn about insurance regulations.
The following information may also be useful.
More effort can pay off
There are still a few companies who do not offer online rate quotes and these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents. Cheaper car insurance can be purchased from both online companies and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
As you , it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, policy non-renewal, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is actually quite simple.