Overpriced car insurance can overdraw your bank account and force you to prioritize other expenses. Comparing price quotes is a smart way to tighten up your finances. Since consumers have many different company options, it can be impossible to find the most affordable car insurance company.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always list every available discount very well, so we break down both well-publicized and the more hidden car insurance savings. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts when compared to bad drivers.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Good Students Pay Less – This discount can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child take driver’s ed class in school.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
For a list of insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Tennessee, follow this link.
How to Compare Car Insurance Quotes in Bristol, TN
Lowering your car insurance rates is surprisingly easy. All you need to do is take a couple of minutes getting comparison quotes online with multiple companies. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This type of form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company. One simple form gets you price quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices.
- A less efficient way to find lower rates requires a trip to the website for every company you want to comare and fill out their own quote form. For instance, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from USAA, 21st Century and Liberty Mutual. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Bristol, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you’re using the exact same coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If your comparisons have different values for each quote you will not be able to make an equal comparison in Bristol.
You have some control over your rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – Liability coverage will protect you if you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money – There are a ton of extra coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates.
- Older drivers pay less – Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Teen drivers are known to be more careless behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Discounts for married couples – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. It usually means you are more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Anti-theft features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart auto theft.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The make and model of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are usually for small economy passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in Tennessee give discounts to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
Is my situation unique?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Tennessee minimum liability coverage?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- What are Tennessee no-fault laws?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Quote more, save more
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with an unexpected company. Some small companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
To learn more about car insurance in Tennessee
Even more information can be read at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website. Tennessee consumers can learn about specific coverages, find disaster information, and learn about insurance regulations.
The following information may also be useful.