Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced car insurance? Trust us, there are lots of people in the same boat. There are many insurers to choose from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, having more insurers makes it harder to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
Buying the cheapest protection in Charleston is quite easy. If you are insured now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to cut your premiums and possibly find even better coverage. West Virginia drivers only need to know the proper methods to get comparison rates online.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but a few need to be specially asked for before you will receive the discount. If you don’t get every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- E-sign – Some insurance companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application digitally online.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Memberships – Belonging to certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on car insurance.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will reduce your premiums.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Charleston, click here.
Save Money with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you when a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. It provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles are how much you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The more money you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Car features impact rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most companies will award you with lower prices to policyholders who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you may still want to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in West Virginia?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
How can Allstate and Progressive save drivers who switch?
West Virginia consumers constantly see and hear ads for car insurance savings from the likes of Allstate and Progressive. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save if you switch your coverage to them.
How do they all make almost identical claims?
All the different companies can use profiling for the type of customer that makes them money. A good example of a preferred risk might be between 25 and 40, insures multiple vehicles, and has a high credit rating. A driver who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Consumers who are not a match for these standards will be charged a more expensive rate and this can result in business not being written. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That is how companies can truthfully state the savings.
That is why drivers should compare as many rates as you can. It’s just too difficult to predict which car insurance company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Much more information about car insurance in West Virginia can be read on the website for the West Virginia Insurance Commission found here. West Virginia drivers can file complaints about a company, view agent and company licensing information, find a variety of consumer forms, and read state legal mandates and laws.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
We just presented many ideas to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may discover the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
The cheapest car insurance can be bought on the web and with local Charleston insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some car insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.