Saving money on Huron auto insurance is always nearly impossible for consumers new to comparing rates online. Drivers have so many choices that it can quickly become a big hassle to find the best price in Huron.
Huron Auto Insurance Comparisons
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes and find the best price. The recommended way to find competitive insurance rates is simply to get online rate quotes. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The best way to get quotes for comparison would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating separate quote forms to each individual auto insurance company. One quote request gets you coverage quotes instantly. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A different way to get quotes online requires visiting the website of each company and request a quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from Geico, Liberty Mutual and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to visit each site and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Huron, click here.
- The most time-consuming method of getting rate comparisons is driving around to local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the professional guidance only provided by licensed agents. However, consumers can obtain prices from the web and still use a local agent and you’ll learn how to do that later.
Which method you use is up to you, but make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples information for every company. If each company quotes mixed coverages it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Huron. Having just a slight variation in coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when price shopping your coverage, more quotes helps you find better pricing.
More discounts equal less premium
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be available discounts to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Own a Home – Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially compared to bad drivers.
- 55 and Retired – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
To see a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Huron, click this link.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for small agencies is definitely important in Huron.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Huron who will give you bids for your business. There is no reason to leave your house as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy! You can find better rates and work with a local agent.
Different types of insurance agencies in Huron
If you’re trying to find local Huron agents, you need to know there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Huron can either be independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency. When shopping rates, we recommend you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Huron who can help you get rate quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 2225 Dakota Ave S – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 352-1318
- Craig Gross Agency Inc – 908 Dakota Ave S – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 352-4943
- Bauman Agency – 19897 South Dakota Hwy 37 – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 353-1112
- Craig Gross Agency – 908 Dakota Ave S – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 352-4943
- Vic Gross Insurance – 1371 Dakota Ave S # 104 – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 352-7353
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are well schooled on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Consumers often purchase coverage from captives primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below is a list of captive agents in Huron that are able to give price quote information.
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1510 Dakota Ave S – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 352-7864
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 225 Dakota Ave S – Huron, SD 57350 – (605) 353-8075
For a full directory of captive agents in Huron, visit this site.
Picking an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
After receiving satisfactory answers for all questions you ask and a low price estimate, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles.
What determines how much you pay?
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
The following are some of the items used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Your location is important – Living in a small town can be a good thing when talking about auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas have to deal with much more traffic and longer commute times. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you file claims often, you can expect higher rates. Insurance companies in South Dakota provide discounts to insureds who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Drive less and save money – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Double check that your auto insurance policy properly reflects how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- A clean driving record saves money – Whether or not you get tickets impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Good drivers have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Just one ticket can increase rates forty percent or more. Drivers with flagrant tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Your job and insurance rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations like real estate brokers, social workers and dentists tend to have the highest average rates because of job stress and long work hours. Other professions such as farmers, historians and performers receive lower rates.
Smart consumers save more
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate.
People switch companies for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers and being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company can be less work than you think.
Discount auto insurance is available online and also from your neighborhood Huron agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
Additional South Dakota car insurance resources
Additional information is available on the South Dakota Division of Insurance website through this link. South Dakota drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, find disaster information, and discover disciplinary actions.