Are you kicking yourself for buying an overpriced car insurance policy? Trust us when we tell you there are many people just like you. You have multiple auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to adequately compare rates.
You need to get comparison quotes every six months since prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the lowest quotes on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to find out one of the quickest ways to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Cutting your Ray car insurance rates is surprisingly easy. Consumers just need to take a few minutes comparing from some recommended companies. This can be accomplished by using one of the methods below.
- Experts agree that the best way to get quotes for comparison would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This style of form keeps you from doing separate quotation requests for each price estimate. One form gets rate comparisons from many national carriers.
- A harder way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to the website for every company you want to comare and repeat the quote process again and again. For example, we’ll pretend you are doing a rate comparison from GEICO, Progressive and Allstate. To get rate quotes you would need to navigate to each company’s site and enter your information, and that explains why we recommend the first method.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Ray, click here.
- The most difficult way to quote and compare insurance rates is driving to insurance agents’ offices. Doing it all online has made agencies unnecessary unless you have a complicated situation and need the extra assistance of a licensed agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to compare the best prices online but still have the advice of a local agent.
Whichever way you use, make darn sure you compare equivalent coverages for each quote you get. If each company quotes differing limits it’s not possible to make a fair comparison in Ray.
Drivers who switch save $450 a year? Really?
Consumers can’t get away from ads that promise big savings by Allstate and Progressive. All the companies say the same thing that drivers will save a bundle if you just switch your car insurance policy to them.
Is it even possible that every company can save you money?
Car insurance companies have specific criteria for the type of driver that will add to their bottom line. An example of this type of driver might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no claims, and insures a new vehicle. Anyone who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Ray and will most likely pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who don’t meet those criteria must pay a more expensive rate and this results in business going elsewhere. The trick is to say “drivers who switch” not “all people who quote” save that kind of money. That’s the way companies can claim big savings. Because of the profiling, drivers must do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It’s just too difficult to predict which insurance companies will be your best fit.
Components of your car insurance premiums
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find cheaper rates.
- Car plus home equals more savings – Most larger insurers will award better rates to customers that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s always a smart idea to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Prevent coverage lapses – Having a gap between insurance policy dates can be a quick way to increase your renewal premiums. In addition to paying higher premiums, not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time. You could then be forced to file a SR-22 with the North Dakota department of motor vehicles.
- What are good liability insurance limits? – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if ever you are ruled to be at fault for an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
- Safer cars means lower car insurance rates – Cars with five star safety ratings are cheaper to insure. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and reduced instances of injuries means your insurance company pays less and lower rates for you. If your car, truck, or SUV scored at minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
- Annual miles is a factor – The more you drive each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. The majority of insurers apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos that are left in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your vehicle rating is rated on the correct usage, because it can save money.
Drivers can save with these discounts
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many people don’t even know exist. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Driver Training Discounts – Successfully completing a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Theft Deterent – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some car insurance companies give discounts for signing up before your current coverage expires. You may see this discount when you get .
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Maintaining low annual mileage could be rewarded with lower car insurancerates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Ray Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Ray may earn you a small savings since owning and maintaining a home demonstrates responsibility.
As a sidenote, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount should definitely cut your overall premium however.
If you would like to choose from a list of car insurance companies that offer discounts in North Dakota, click here to view.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions might help in determining if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in North Dakota?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in North Dakota?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
You may want advice from an agent
Many people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good insurer requires more thought than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Ray?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from local Ray agents, it’s helpful to know the types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agencies are considered either captive or independent. Either can handle car insurance, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Agents that choose to be captive can only provide one company’s prices like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find you cheaper rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you need to compare quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
After talking to the agent and getting good responses to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
The cheapest car insurance can be bought from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you need to with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not provide rate quotes online and usually these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
We just presented many ways to shop for car insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from a lesser-known regional company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower prices in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
For more North Dakota car insurance information
Additional detailed information is located at the North Dakota Insurance Department website. North Dakota consumers can report car insurance fraud, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Other related articles: