Purchasing cheap Waynesboro auto insurance over the internet may be impossible for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. When there are so many choices, how can Waynesboro drivers effectively compare them all to find the lowest rates?
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes some of the factors used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Mature drivers pay less – Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers tend to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – Many insurance companies give discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Auto insurance companies in Virginia give cheaper rates to people who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Big city or small town – Living in a small town can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger models receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – A driver’s credit history is a big factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. If your credit score is not that good, you could save money insuring your by improving your rating. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Safer cars get lower rates. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every available discount very clearly, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Paperwork-free – A few companies will give a small break simply for signing over the internet.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars or trucks on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Safe Driver Discount – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Waynesboro, follow this link.
The fine print in auto insurance ads
Virginia drivers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to make an identical promise about savings if you move to them.
How do they all say the same thing? It’s all in the numbers.
All companies can use profiling for the type of customer that earns them a profit. An example of a profitable customer might be profiled as between 25 and 40, is a homeowner, and drives newer vehicles. A driver who fits that profile will get very good rates and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who are not a match for the “perfect” profile will be charged higher rates which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That is how companies can truthfully state the savings. That is why drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to predict which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Virginia?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Do no-fault laws apply in Virginia?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional detailed information can be read at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Virginia consumers can get help finding coverage, find out industry alerts, view agent and company licensing information, and find a variety of consumer forms.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Discount auto insurance is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in Waynesboro, so compare prices from both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Drivers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, unfair underwriting practices, high rates after DUI convictions or not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easier than you think.