Purchasing the cheapest Adrian car insurance on the internet can be challenging for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. With so many choices of online companies, how can Adrian drivers possibly compare the different rates to find the cheapest available price?
It’s important to shop coverage around before your policy renews since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Even if you got the best deal a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out the easiest way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Comprehensive Car Insurance Comparison in Adrian, MI
Reducing your insurance rates doesn’t have to be difficult. Just take a few minutes getting comparison quotes online with multiple companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The best way to get quotes is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for every car insurance company. One quote request gets you coverage quotes from car insurance companies with the best prices. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A more difficult way to compare rate quotes requires visiting the website of each company to request a price quote. For example, let’s say you want to compare rates from GEICO, Liberty Mutual and Progressive. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Adrian, click here.
- The hardest way to compare rates is to drive around to and from local Adrian insurance agencies. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the personal advice that only a license agent can provide. It is possible to find lower rates online and get advice from an agent in your area and you’ll learn how to do that later.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare apples-to-apples coverages and limits on every quote. If you are comparing different values for each quote it will be very difficult to truly determine the lowest rate in Adrian.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may find discounts to help bring down the price. Most are applied when you get a quote, but a few need to be specifically requested before being credited. If you don’t get every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Adrian can help you save on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- No Claims – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Multi-car Discount – Having more than one vehicle on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you could get a free car insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount will cut the cost of coverage.
But I want to work with a local agent
Some people would rather sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Good agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain better rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Adrian.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to companies in Adrian who will return price quotes for your business. You won’t need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. How cool is that?!
Compare rates from both independent and captive auto insurance agents
When finding a good insurance agency, there are two different types of agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in Adrian are either captive or independent (non-captive). While both can do a good job, but it’s worth learning the difference between them since it may influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Adrian who may be able to give you pricing information.
- Toncre Agency – 562 W Maple Ave – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 263-6461
- Dean Bishop Agency – 2396 E Us Highway 223 – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 263-5585
- Sam Mitchell Insurance Inc – 4330 N Adrian Hwy – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 263-9379
- Kemner-Iott Agency Inc – 1390 W Maumee St – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 265-7000
- Hayes Insurance Inc – 4752 Occidental Hwy – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 423-8316
These agents work for only one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Captive agencies are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Consumers often choose to use a captive agent mostly because of the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
Below are captive agents in Adrian that can give you rate quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 4025 S Adrian Hwy – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 265-2891
- State Farm Insurance – 933 S Main St – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 263-6757
- Allstate Insurance – 1067 S Main St – Adrian, MI 49221 – (517) 263-8591
To view a full list of captive agencies in Adrian, visit this site.
Picking a car insurance agent requires more thought than just the price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- How are claims handled?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
After getting good answers and an affordable coverage quote, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to provide car insurance coverage.
Specifics of your car insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your vehicle from colliding with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like scraping a guard rail, driving through your garage door, sideswiping another vehicle and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability insurance – This provides protection from damage that occurs to other people or property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see liability limits of 25/50/25 which means $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things like repair costs for stationary objects, bail bonds, structural damage, medical services and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford. Michigan requires drivers to carry at least 20,000/40,000/10,000 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses for things like nursing services, chiropractic care, ambulance fees, doctor visits and dental work. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive coverage – Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like fire damage, hitting a bird and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many Michigan drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (20/40/10), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where an insured dropped full coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like high prices, questionable increases in premium, denial of a claim or high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is easier than you think.
Affordable car insurance can be found from both online companies and with local Adrian insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
For more reading
More information can be found on the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website located here. Consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, download brochures, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.