If you are a novice to online car insurance shopping, chances are good that you are bewildered thanks to the incredible selection of car insurance companies selling insurance in Pikeville.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes once or twice a year since prices change frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rate a year ago a different company probably has better premium rates today. You’ll find a ton of advice on car insurance out there, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some of the best techniques to slash your car insurance rates.
More discounts mean lower premiums
Some insurers do not list their entire list of discounts very well, so the following is a list of both the well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you . If you are not receiving all the discounts available, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Organization Discounts – Joining a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- College Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could earn substantially lower premium rates.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with the same insurance company you may earn up to 20% and get you .
- Use Seat Belts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save a little off the medical payments premium.
- Smart Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a . You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way. But all discounts will bring down your policy cost.
A few popular companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online signing, and good student.
- Geico offers premium reductions for membership and employees, air bags, federal employee, multi-policy, anti-theft, and daytime running lights.
- State Farm has savings for passive restraint, driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, good student, and multiple policy.
- Esurance may include discounts for Pac-12 alumni, paid-in-full, emergency road assistance, homeowner, Switch & Save, defensive driver, and anti-theft.
- The Hartford discounts include air bag, anti-theft, good student, defensive driver, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
When quoting, ask every insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policies in Pikeville. For a list of insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Pikeville, click this link.
When choosing the best car insurance coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
When should I contact an insurance agency?
Some consumers still like to have an agent’s advice and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find better rates and also buy local. Buying from neighborhood agents is important especially in Pikeville.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the coverage information is sent to companies in Pikeville that give free quotes for your coverage. There is no need to leave your house as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you have a need to compare prices for a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
When researching a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they operate. Car insurance agents in Pikeville may be either independent or captive. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles, but it’s important to point out the difference between them because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house and you don’t have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you definitely need to contact at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. Many can place coverage with smaller mutual companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Pikeville that may be able to give free rate quotes.
- Gary E Lowe Insurance – 3780 N Mayo Trl # 101 – Pikeville, KY 41501 – (606) 432-4877
- Elite Agency – 3823 N Mayo Trl – Pikeville, KY 41501 – (606) 432-7283
- Justice and Stamper Insurance – 5445 N Mayo Trl – Pikeville, KY 41501 – (606) 432-5591
Captive agencies are contracted to one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are trained well on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Many people buy from captive agents mainly due to the brand name rather than having low rates.
Listed below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Pikeville willing to provide price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance – 3767 N Mayo Trl # 5 – Pikeville, KY 41501 – (606) 432-4320
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance – 320 Bypass Rd – Pikeville, KY 41501 – (606) 437-9606
To see available insurance agents near you, view this directory of car insurance providers in Pikeville, KY.
Choosing the best auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
Is there deception in advertising?
Consumers can’t get away from all the ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as State Farm and Allstate. They all seem to state the claim that you’ll save big if you get a free and switch your car insurance policy to them.
But how can every company offer you a better deal? Here is how they do it.
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of customer that will add to their bottom line. For example, a driver they prefer should be between the ages of 30 and 45, has a clear driving record, and drives a safe vehicle. Anybody that hits that “sweet spot” will get very good Pikeville rates and most likely will save when switching.
Consumers who do not meet the “perfect” profile may be forced to pay a higher rate and the driver buying from a lower-cost company. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save the amount stated. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote.
Each company has different criteria, so you need to quotes from several different companies. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will give you lower auto insurance rates than your current company.
Much more information about car insurance in Kentucky can be found on the . Click here for link. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, get help finding coverage, file complaints about a company, and read consumer alerts.
Other useful links include III.org’s auto insurance page and this link which helps you find a Pikeville agent.
What car insurance coverages do you need?
Understanding the coverages of your policy can be of help when determining the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things such as scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your vehicle.
Since many Kentucky drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liablity limits.
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to people or other property. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 100/300/100 that means you have a limit of $100,000 per injured person, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000. Some companies may use a combined limit which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers things such as court costs, medical expenses, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and structural damage. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Kentucky state law requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/10,000 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like damage from a tornado or hurricane, vandalism, hitting a deer and rock chips in glass. The most a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for bills such as rehabilitation expenses, X-ray expenses, doctor visits and surgery. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Smart consumers save more
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, high rates after DUI convictions, denial of a claim or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
A few companies do not offer internet price quotes and usually these smaller companies only sell through independent agents. Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.