Perplexed by the number of auto insurance company choices in Valparaiso? Lot’s of other consumers are too. People have so many companies to choose from that it can be a big hassle to find the lowest price.
You should make it a habit to price shop coverage on a regular basis because prices change frequently. Even if you think you had the lowest rates on your last policy you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the fastest way to find better coverage at a better price.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these techniques to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. This information will tell you how to get online quotes and some tricks to saving. Indiana consumers just need to know the most efficient way to compare prices over the internet.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Valparaiso, Indiana
Finding a lower price on insurance can be surprisingly simple. All that’s required is to spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- The single most time-saving way consumers can analyze rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This form eliminates the need for separate quotation requests to each individual auto insurance company. Completing one form will return quotes from multiple companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A less efficient way to get comparison quotes consists of going to each individual company website to request a price quote. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want to compare Allstate, 21st Century and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method. To view a list of companies in Valparaiso, click here.
- The least efficient method of comparing rate quotes is driving around to local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. However, consumers can price shop your coverage online but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just double check that you are using identical coverage information for every company. If each company quotes higher or lower deductibles it will be very difficult to find the best deal in Valparaiso.
Misconceptions in auto insurance advertisements
Consumers in Indiana constantly see and hear ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to make the same claim of big savings after switching to them.
But how can every company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer they prefer to insure. For example, a driver they prefer could be between 25 and 40, is a homeowner, and has a high credit rating. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and therefore will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential customers who fall outside this ideal profile will be quoted a higher premium which usually ends up with the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. This is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings.
This emphasizes why it is so important to quote coverage with many companies. It is impossible to predict which auto insurance company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Lower rates by qualifying for these 5 discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about before you will receive the discount. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same company you may save at least 10% off all policies.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared to frequent claim filers.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
To choose providers offering auto insurance discounts in Indiana, follow this link.
What happened to insurance agents?
A small number of people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Educated insurance agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting small agencies is important particularly in Valparaiso.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, the coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Valparaiso who will give you bids to get your business. There is no need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
Two types of Valparaiso car insurance agents
When finding a reliable agent, there are a couple of different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Valparaiso can either be captive or independent. Both write coverage properly, but it’s worth learning the difference between them since it may influence the type of agent you choose
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparison shopping, you should always include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.Many can place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-29.jpg" alt="Indiana auto insurance“/>
Shown below are Valparaiso independent insurance agencies that are able to give price quote information.
- Agency 1 Insurance Inc – 4004 Campbell St – Valparaiso, IN 46385 – (219) 465-4004
- Rich Manatrey Insurance – 4207 Calumet Ave – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 462-7424
- Marti Masterson Agency – 330 W Us Highway 30 # B – Valparaiso, IN 46385 – (219) 462-2166
- Rykovich Insurance – 14 Lafayette St – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 465-7374
These agents write business for a single company such as State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Captives are trained well on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only choose to use a captive agent partially due to high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Shown below are captive agencies in Valparaiso that are able to give price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 2602 Chicago St – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 531-3700
- Shelter Insurance – 456 Morthland Dr # A – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 464-3493
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1304 Evans Ave – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 462-0591
- Farmers Insurance Group – 4501 N Calumet Ave – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 465-1571
- Allstate Insurance – 829 Lincolnway – Valparaiso, IN 46383 – (219) 462-7436
To view a complete directory of captive agencies in Valparaiso, view this link.
Picking an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- How are claims handled?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
Upon receiving positive feedback and a low price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that can service your policy.
Situations that might require an agent
When choosing coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Additional auto insurance information is located on the Indiana Department of Insurance website located here. Indiana drivers can view agent and company licensing information, read consumer alerts, and find disaster information.
Auto insurance coverage information
Having a good grasp of auto insurance aids in choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Auto insurance terms can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/10), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family. Usually these limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Auto liability insurance
This can cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against other people’s claims, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/25 that means you have a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which provides one coverage limit and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers things like medical expenses, loss of income, structural damage, court costs and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Indiana requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/10,000 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like hitting a bird, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed and fire damage. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims such as crashing into a building, sideswiping another vehicle, driving through your garage door and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for immediate expenses for things like prosthetic devices, X-ray expenses, dental work, surgery and EMT expenses. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
And the best car insurance company is…
Discount auto insurance can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents in Valparaiso, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who don’t offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
When you buy insurance online, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the lowest rates come from a small local company.