If you are new to online price comparisons, by this point your are probably bewildered by the vast number of online auto insurance companies and websites that all promise to save you money.
Finding affordable coverage in Oakland is not that difficult. Essentially every driver who has to buy auto insurance will be able to find better rates. Although Tennessee drivers must know how companies price online insurance and apply this information to your search.
Auto insurance policy discounts
Auto insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of purchase, but occassionally some discounts must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Cautious Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning your own home or condo can help you save on auto insurance since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off PIP or medical payments premium.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education in school.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for good student, multiple policy, good driver, driver’s education, and Drive Safe & Save.
- GEICO discounts include anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, driver training, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- Allstate includes discounts for EZ pay plan discount, new car, anti-lock brakes, eSmart discount, passive restraint, and resident student.
- SAFECO has discounts for accident prevention training, multi-car, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, and anti-theft.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including safe driver, youthful driver, good student, 55 and retired, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, and good student.
- AAA may include discounts for multi-car, good student, anti-theft, education and occupation, and multi-policy.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Discounts may not apply in your area. To locate providers with discount auto insurance rates in Tennessee, click this link.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When choosing adequate coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you might need professional guidance.
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Auto insurance quotes from neighborhood Oakland auto insurance agents
Some people would prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you can get lower car insurance rates but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your insurance data is submitted to participating agents in Oakland who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent directly to your email. You can find lower rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best insurance company requires more thought than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Does their agency support local causes in Oakland?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Oakland?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local Oakland insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agents in Oakland can be described as either independent or captive.
Captive insurance agents can only write with one company like Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so always compare other rates. They are very knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. A lot of people buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than low price.
Listed below are captive agencies in Oakland willing to provide comparison quotes.
- State Farm In Oakland Tn – 7270 Highway 64 – Oakland, TN 38060 – (901) 465-1301
- Allstate Insurance – 6280 Us Highway 64 – Oakland, TN 38060 – (901) 465-4212
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are appointed with more than one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When comparison shopping, we recommend you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Many can place coverage with small mutual carriers which could offer lower prices.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Oakland that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Autoplain Insurance – 7110 Highway 64 – Oakland, TN 38060 – (901) 465-6465
For more insurance agents in Oakland, please link to this directory of Oakland, TN auto insurance agents.
Is there deception in advertising?
Respected companies like Allstate and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on TV and radio. All the companies state the claim about savings if you get a free and switch your auto insurance coverage to their company. It sounds good, but how can they all charge you a lower premium? This is how they do it.
All companies have specific characteristics for the type of driver that earns them the most money. An example of this type of insured could possibly be a mature driver, has a clean driving record, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Someone that hits that “sweet spot” will qualify for the lowest prices in Oakland as well as pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
People who fall short of these criteria will be charged more expensive rates and this can result in the customer buying from someone else. The trick is to say “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save that much when switching. That is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. This illustrates why drivers should compare many company’s premium rates. Because you cannot predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
Parts of your auto insurance policy
Having a good grasp of a auto insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 100/300/100 which means $100,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $300,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $100,000.
Liability coverage protects against things like structural damage, medical expenses, medical services, attorney fees and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Tennessee requires minimum liability limits of 25,000/50,000/15,000 but it’s recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like damage from flooding, hitting a deer, damage from a tornado or hurricane, vandalism and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole and hitting a parking meter. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to bump up the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for expenses for things like funeral costs, pain medications, prosthetic devices and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible
For more Tennessee auto insurance information
More detailed Tennessee auto insurance information can be found at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website. Tennessee drivers can read state legal mandates and laws, view a list of available companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
More related Oakland auto insurance information:
- Lowest Auto Insurance Exclusively for Oakland Residents
- How to Find the Cheapest Price on Oakland, CA Car Insurance
- Tips for Searching Online for an Oakland Car Insurance Agent
You can lower your rates
We covered quite a bit of information on how to compare auto insurance rates online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding . Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company.
People switch companies for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, delays in paying claims, lack of trust in their agent and even unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider is not as hard as you think.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is available online and from local agencies, so get from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who don’t offer internet price quotes and most of the time these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents.