No one looks forward to buying car insurance, especially when the cost is too high. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate persitently shower you with ad campaigns and consumers find it hard to see past the corporate glitz and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a good idea to check car insurance prices yearly due to the fact that insurance rates change frequently. Just because you found the best deal on your last policy you can probably find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the fastest and easiest way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
If you have a current car insurance policy or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Finding the best rates in Pomona is not rocket science. California drivers only need an understanding of the proper methods to compare prices over the internet.
Vehicle Insurance Comparison
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is actually quite simple. All that’s required is to invest a few minutes comparing price quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The most efficient way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company. One quote request will get you rate comparisons from several companies.
- A harder way to shop for car insurance online consists of going to the website for each individual company and request a quote. For instance, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from State Farm, Safeco and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Pomona, click here.
- The least efficient method of comparing rate quotes to different Pomona agent offices. Buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a need for the trained guidance of a licensed agent. Drivers can get prices online but buy from a local insurance agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
However you get your quotes, ensure you’re using exactly the same coverage limits on every quote you get. If you enter mixed coverages you will not be able to determine the best price in Pomona.
These discounts can lower your rates
Car insurance companies do not list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are throwing money away.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Pomona, follow this link.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in California?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
For more reading
Even more information can be found at the California Department of Insurance website. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, find disaster information, and view a list of available companies.
Other related articles: