No one looks forward to paying for car insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. People have so many insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and even though it’s nice to be able to choose, more choices can make it harder to find the lowest cost provider.
Buying car insurance in Clarksville is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to save some money using these methods. Although Indiana vehicle owners must know the way companies compete online because it can help you find the best coverage.
There are several ways to compare car insurance prices and some are less time-consuming than others. You can spend your afternoon discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Clarksville, or you could use the web to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Many insurance companies are enrolled in a marketplace that allows shoppers to submit their information once, and each company returns a competitive quote based on that data. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests for each company you want a rate for.
To access this free quoting program, click to open in new window.
One minor caviat to using this type of system is that consumers can’t choose the insurers to receive prices from. So if you want to select individual companies for rate comparison, we have a page of low cost car insurance companies in Indiana. Click to view list.
Whichever method you choose, try to use the same deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If you have higher or lower deductibles then you won’t be able to make a fair comparison in Clarksville. Just slight variations in limits may result in a large different in cost. It’s important to know that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps improve the odds of finding a better price.
Indiana car insurance discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but occassionally some discounts must be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Drivers Ed for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few companies allow discounts for switching policies prior to the expiration date on your current policy. You could save around 10% when you .
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you are able to get better car insurance rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions and earn discounts up to 10%.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can save substantially in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will cut your car insurance premiums.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts include:
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, and homeowner.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for accident-free, multi-policy, good driver, claim-free, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for good student, annual mileage, good driver, anti-theft, ease of repair, and accident-free.
- Nationwide offers discounts for Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, anti-theft, multi-policy, defensive driving, good student, and family plan.
- Geico may include discounts for seat belt use, multi-policy, daytime running lights, military active duty, membership and employees, defensive driver, and multi-vehicle.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-policy, AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-car, anti-theft, and education and occupation.
Before buying, ask every prospective company how you can save money. Some credits may not be offered in every state. To locate insurers offering car insurance discounts in Indiana, click this link.
When do I need to talk to an insurance agency?
Some people would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. A good thing about price shopping on the web is you may find cheap car insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to companies in Clarksville who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to leave your computer because prices are sent directly to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you would need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right provider requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Any good agent should know the answers to these questions.
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Clarksville for you
If you are wanting to find a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they function. Car insurance policy providers can be described as either captive agents or independent agents.
Captive agents work for only one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. They are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Clarksville who may provide you with price quote information.
Allstate Insurance – 711 E Lewis And Clark Pkwy – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 282-1475
State Farm Insurance – 901 E Highway 131 – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 283-0495
American Family Insurance – 1603 Lynch Ln – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 288-8874
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you check rates from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Clarksville willing to provide price quotes.
Mustain All-Risk Insurance – 905 Eastern Blvd # C – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 282-4111
HMC Insurance Inc – 999 Eastern Blvd – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 282-7777
Gary Detar Agency – 711 E State Road 131 – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 283-9999
Auto Risk Agency Inc – 632 W Highway 131 # 1 – Clarksville, IN 47129 – (812) 981-0004
To choose from more licensed insurance agents in Clarksville, link to this list of Clarksville Indiana car insurance agents.
Four ways to find car insurance more affordably in Clarksville
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, but others are less apparent such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The following are most of the major factors used by companies to determine premiums.
- Married people drive safer – Having a significant other can get you a discount on your car insurance bill. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Drivers with high credit save on car insurance – Having a bad credit history can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit score can be improved, you may save money insuring your vehicle if you improve your credit rating. Drivers with very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit ratings.
- Certain vocations raise car insurance rates – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as doctorsair traffic controllers and medical professionals tend to have higher rates than the rest of us in part from high stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, occupations like scientists, historians and performers have the lowest average rates.
- Cheaper premiums with safer cars – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer injuries translates directly to fewer claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your vehicle is rated at a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you are probably receiving a discount.
Save $393 a year? Really?
Geico, State Farm and Progressive consistently run television, radio, and online ads. All the companies seem to make the promise that drivers can save some big amount if you change your policy. How is it possible that every company can lower your premium rates? This is the trick they use.
Different companies can use profiling for the type of driver that will be a good risk. For example, a preferred risk might have to be between 30 and 50, has other policies, and drives a car with an anti-theft system. Anyone who fits those characteristics will probably get the lowest rates and therefore will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential customers who do not meet these criteria may receive a higher premium and this results in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “drivers that switch” not “everyone who quotes” will save that much if they switch. That’s why companies can lure you into getting a quote. Because every company is different, it’s extremely important to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. Because without a comparison, you cannot know with any certainty which company will provide the lowest rates.
Be persistent and save
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Low-cost car insurance can be purchased from both online companies in addition to many Clarksville insurance agents, so you need to with both to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not provide rates over the internet and usually these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
More detailed Indiana car insurance information can be read at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to download brochures, view agent and company licensing information, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Other related articles: