If shopping for is new to you, it’s easy to be bewildered by the large number of insurers all advertising big savings.
It’s a good habit to check auto insurance prices every six months due to the fact that insurance prices tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best rate at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to show you the best way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Discounts can really help to save
Auto insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you can get discounts that can help lower your rates. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but some must be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you combine your home and auto policies and place coverage with the same company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Seat Belt Usage – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the personal injury premium cost.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow companies to look at vehicle usage remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting auto insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper because newer models are generally safer.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but some insurance companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Good Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Distant Student – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
Don’t be surprised that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose auto insurance companies who offer cheap auto insurance quotes in West Virginia, click this link.
Learn how to lower your auto insurance prices
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning the factors that aid in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you know what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in cheaper rates.
- Increase comp and collision deductibles to save – The deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Coverage for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, fire damage, and having a roll-over accident. The more money you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Your stress level may be raising your premiums – Careers such as doctors, executives and dentists are shown to have the highest rates attributed to intense work requirements and long work hours. Conversely, occupations such as scientists, students and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Commute or pleasure use – Driving a lot of miles each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure compared to those used for work or business. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet states the proper vehicle usage.
- Save money with good credit – A driver’s credit rating can be a huge factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit rating is low, you may save money insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit. Drivers who have good credit tend to be more responsible than those with poor credit.
- Being married pays dividends – Your spouse actually saves money on your policy. Having a significant other may mean you are more stable financially it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Your address can modify price – Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers on the road means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Accidents increase rates – Attentive drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Getting just one ticket can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who have license-revoking violations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is West Virginia a no-fault state?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Mannington?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in West Virginia?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Insurance agents can help
Many drivers would rather sit down with an agent and that is a personal choice. Good insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is you may find the best rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the coverage information gets sent to participating agents in Mannington who can give free rate quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Selecting an insurer needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. A good agent will have answers to these questions.
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
If you want a good Mannington insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies that you can select. Mannington agents can be categorized as either independent or captive. Either type can write policy coverage, but it’s good to learn why they differ since it can affect the kind of agent you use.
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents have only one company to place business with such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Captive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so they really need to provide good service. These agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from captives mainly due to the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not write with just one company and that allows them to write policies with lots of companies and find you the best rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always get several quotes from independent agents to have the most options to choose from. Most also have access to less well-known companies which may provide better rates.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in Mannington who can help you get price quotes.
- Dick Moore Insurance – 307 E Main St – Mannington, WV 26582 – (304) 986-1033
To choose from more auto insurance agents in Mannington, visit this directory of Mannington West Virginia auto insurance providers.
Drivers who switch save $489 a year? Really?
Consumers can’t get away from ads for the lowest price auto insurance from companies such as State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. All the ads convey the message that people will save if you move your policy.
Is it even possible that every company can give you a lower rate? You have to listen carefully.
Different companies have a certain “appetite” for a prospective insured that is profitable for them. An example of a profitable customer might have to be a married female, has never had a claim, and does not commute to work. Any new insured that matches those criteria may get the lowest car insurance rates in Mannington and will most likely save when switching.
People who may not quite match these stringent criteria must pay higher premium rates which leads to the customer not purchasing. If you pay attention, the ads say “drivers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That is how insurance companies can confidently claim big savings. This illustrates why drivers must compare rate quotes every year. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will have better rates than you’re paying now.
Consumer auto insurance information in West Virginia
Even more information can be found at the West Virginia Insurance Commission website. West Virginia consumers can report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, find out which companies have the most complaints, and learn about specific coverages.
More quotes mean more savings
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund and policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We just covered a lot of information how to get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more you , the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
Discount auto insurance can be purchased online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.