Finding lower premiums on North Salt Lake car insurance can seem to be hard for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. You have so many options available that it can easily become a real hassle to find the best price in North Salt Lake.
If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can learn to find the best rates and possibly find even better coverage. Locating affordable car insurance coverage in North Salt Lake is not that difficult. Utah vehicle owners only need to know how to compare prices over the internet.
Rate influencing factors
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that help determine car insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- Policy add-ons can waste money – There are many extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Choosing to live in a rural area is a positive aspect when buying car insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident. Drivers in populated Utah areas tend to have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Longer commute distances means more change of being in an accident.
- Do men or women drive better? – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Both sexes have accidents in similar percentages, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Many car insurance companies provide better rates to customers who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to compare rates to ensure the best deal. You may still find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as judges, executives and financial analysts are shown to have higher average rates in part from high stress levels and long work days. Conversely, occupations like pilots, engineers and homemakers pay the least.
- Your credit rating is important – Your credit score is a large factor in determining your rates. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower credit scores. If your credit history is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your credit score.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can save up to 30% because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Auto/Life Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
To see a list of insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in Utah, click this link.
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
More resources for learning
Additional information is located on the Utah Insurance Department website found here. Visitors are able to read industry bulletins, view agent and company licensing information, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Cheap car insurance is attainable both online in addition to many North Salt Lake insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where an insured cut physical damage coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we presented a lot of ways to lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies.