Feel like you have an overpriced auto insurance policy? Trust us, many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out. Popular companies such as State Farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive continually hit you with ads and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
You need to quote other rates yearly since prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best price at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you one of the best ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Finding affordable coverage in Tonganoxie is easy if you know what you’re doing. But Kansas drivers can benefit by having an understanding of how insurance companies compete online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Auto insurance quotes and discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can help lower your rates. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Online Discount – Many companies give back up to $50 on their website.
- Accident Free – Tonganoxie drivers who stay claim-free pay less as compared to bad drivers.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Driving Data Discount – Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to look at where and when they drive through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they show good driving skills.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
You should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are:
- Geico policyholders can earn discounts including emergency military deployment, driver training, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, military active duty, membership and employees, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may offer discounts for defensive driver, good student, accident-free, multi-policy, claim-free, good driver
- State Farm may have discounts that include student away at school, good student, Drive Safe & Save, good driver, multiple policy, and driver’s education.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and online quote discount.
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for accident-free, annual mileage, location of vehicle, good student, good driver, low natural disaster claims, and type of vehicle.
- 21st Century includes discounts for air bags, good student, automatic seat belts, student driver, driver training, homeowners, and early bird.
- Allstate has discounts for anti-lock brakes, teenSMART discount, good payer, early signing, auto/life discount, anti-theft, and EZ pay plan discount.
When comparing rates, check with each company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your area. To view insurers with the best discounts in Tonganoxie, click here to view.
How to lower your auto insurance costs
It’s important that you understand some of the things that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper rates. Many different elements are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but some are less obvious such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
- Bad driving leads to higher prices – Your driving record can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Attentive drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than their less careful counterparts. Just one citation can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who have received license-revoking citations such as DUI or reckless driving might be required by their state to complete a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
- Car insurance liability limits – The liability section of your policy is the protection in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Premiums may be higher where you live – Living in small towns and rural areas has definite advantages when trying to find low car insurance rates. City drivers regularly have more road rage incidents and a longer drive to work. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- You may save more by combining policies – Lots of insurance companies apply a discount to people who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Marriage is a good thing – Being married may save some money on your auto insurance bill. Marriage usually means you are more financially stable and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Do thieves like your car? – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
- Keep the miles off and save – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of companies apply a rate based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Make sure your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When buying the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions may help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Are auto insurance agents used anymore?
A lot of people still prefer to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower premium rates and still have a local agent.
After completing this quick form, your insurance data gets sent to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered directly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, just navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurer should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
How to choose the best car insurance agent in Tonganoxie
If you want to use an insurance agent, there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Tonganoxie can be described as either independent agents or captive agents.
Agents that choose to be captive can only provide one company’s prices like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below is a short list of captive agencies in Tonganoxie who may provide you with price quotes.
American Family Insurance – 4th St and Delaware St – Tonganoxie, KS 66086 – (913) 369-4444
Farm Bureau Insurance – 523 E 4th St – Tonganoxie, KS 66086 – (913) 845-2622
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not restriced to one company so they can write business through lots of different companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you should always check rates from multiple independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Tonganoxie willing to provide rate quotes.
Insurance Ctr – 219 E Highway 24-40 – Tonganoxie, KS 66086 – (913) 369-6600
To view additional insurance agents in Tonganoxie, visit this page of Tonganoxie, KS insurance agents.
To find out more about Kansas auto insurance
Additional detailed information can be read at the Kansas Insurance Department website. Kansas drivers can find a variety of consumer forms, discover disciplinary actions, view a list of available companies, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
In the end, you save
Low-cost auto insurance can be bought both online and with local Tonganoxie insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through local independent agencies.
When shopping online for auto insurance, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.