Finding cheaper coverage rates for Chester car insurance could be frustrating for drivers who have little experience quoting and comparing prices online. When there are so many companies in the marketplace, it can be a difficult mission to find more affordable prices in West Virginia.
Informed drivers can cut their prices
Multiple criteria are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time. It’s important that you understand some of the elements that help calculate the rates you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower car insurance prices.
- Do you have enough liability protection? – The liability coverage on your policy will afford coverage if you are found to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Insurance companies in West Virginia award cheaper rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Prevent theft and save – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder car theft and help bring rates down.
- Adjust physical damage deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a stationary object, damage from fire, and damage from wind. The more you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Better drivers pay less – Having a single speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have received serious violations such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most larger insurance companies afford a discount to people that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it’s always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- With age comes lower premiums – Inexperience drivers are known to be easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a inexperienced driver to your policy will cause a huge premium hike. More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims .
- High credit equals lower costs – Having a good credit score factor in determining premium rates. Drivers with excellent credit scores tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit could use some work, you may save money insuring your vehicle if you clean up your credit.
Discounts for lower West Virginia car insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list all possible discounts very well, so the below list has a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden car insurance savings.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds that choose to allow their company to scrutinize where and when they drive by using a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- Distant College Student Discount – Children who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select companies reward you with a lower car insurance rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some car insurance companies provide a discount for renewing your policy before your current expiration date. You may see this discount when you get .
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you could save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to buckle up can save up to 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Accident Waiver – Not a discount per se, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without raising rates so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- State Farm offers discounts including Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, good driver, anti-theft, and good student.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, daytime running lights, multi-policy, good student, military active duty, emergency military deployment, and membership and employees.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include safety features, exclusive group savings, newly married, hybrid vehicle, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, and new move discount.
- The Hartford may include discounts for driver training, bundle, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, and anti-theft.
- MetLife has savings for good driver, defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, homeowner, and online quote discount.
It’s a good idea to ask each company to apply every possible discount. Discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. To see a list of providers with significant discounts in West Virginia, click this link.
Buyer beware of car insurance advertising tricks
Consumers in West Virginia can’t ignore all the ads that claim the lowest rates by Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to seem to make the promise that people will save just by moving your policy.
But how can every company sell you cheaper insurance coverage? This is how they do it.
Many companies have specific characteristics for the type of insured that earns them the highest profit. For example, this type of risk profile might be described as between the ages of 30 and 50, owns their home, and does not commute to work. Someone who fits that profile receives the best auto insurance rates and will probably save money with a new company.
Consumers who cannot meet these standards will see a more expensive rate and ends up with the prospect going elsewhere. The wording the ads use say “people that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save money. That is how companies can truthfully make those statements. That is why you need to quotes from several different companies. Because you never know the company that will have the lowest rate quotes.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
For more reading
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the West Virginia Insurance Commission website. West Virginia consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out industry alerts, and read consumer alerts.
The following information may also be useful.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, delays in responding to claim requests, unfair underwriting practices and even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company is not as hard as you think.
More affordable car insurance can be bought online and from local agencies, so you need to with both to have the best selection. A few companies may not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of ways to compare car insurance premium rates online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding . Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.