Tired of being strong-armed to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other drivers in Virginia. Many insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a company to get the best price available.
You need to compare rates yearly due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. If you had the best price last year other companies may now be cheaper. Starting right now, forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you how to use online quotes to save on car insurance.
Portsmouth Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Lowering your car insurance rates is not a difficult process. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes online from several insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way consumers can analyze rates would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This method prevents you from having to do a different quote to each individual car insurance company. Just one form gets rate comparisons instantly.
- A slightly less efficient method to compare prices requires you to visit the website of each company to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s say you want to compare Auto-Owners, Liberty Mutual and Progressive. To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Portsmouth, click here.
- The least efficient method to get comparison rates is to spend your day driving to insurance agents’ offices. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you prefer the trained guidance of a local Portsmouth agent. It is possible to obtain prices from the web but buy from a local insurance agent and you’ll learn how to do that later.
Whichever way you use, compare identical information for each price quote. If your comparisons have different limits and deductibles on each one it’s not possible to determine the best price in Portsmouth.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied when you purchase, but a few must be requested specifically before being credited. If you don’t get every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current policy expires. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But all discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
To choose providers with the best car insurance discounts in Virginia, click here to view.
Can’t I compare rates from local Portsmouth agents?
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent. Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and give you peace of mind. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find better rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for small agencies is important particularly in Portsmouth.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Portsmouth who will battle to get your business. You don’t have to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. It doesn’t get any easier!
Is a captive or independent car insurance agent right for you?
When searching for a good Portsmouth insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents are classified as either captive or independent. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different because it can influence buying decisions.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to include at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below are Portsmouth independent agencies that may be able to provide pricing information.
All In One Insurance Svc – 118 Maryland Ave – Portsmouth, VA 23707 – (757) 393-2612
Integrity Benefits Agency – – Portsmouth, VA 23703 – (757) 484-5996
Auto Insurance Experts – 3574 Towne Point Rd – Portsmouth, VA 23703 – (757) 483-6466
Vestal and Benton Agency – 600 Loudoun Ave – Portsmouth, VA 23707 – (757) 397-1291
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below are Portsmouth captive agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 5907 W Norfolk Rd # 102 – Portsmouth, VA 23703 – (757) 483-2444
Allstate Insurance – 4357 Portsmouth Blvd – Portsmouth, VA 23701 – (757) 465-9200
Farmers Insurance Group – 3248 Academy Ave – Portsmouth, VA 23703 – (757) 484-4700
For a complete listing of car insurance agents in Portsmouth, simply jump to this page.
Selecting an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just a low price. These are valid questions to ask:
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Virginia?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
After receiving satisfactory answers to any questions you have and a good coverage price, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that will service your policy.
When should I talk to an agent?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
More information can be found on the website for the Virginia Bureau of Insurance located here. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, file complaints about a company, learn about insurance regulations, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
As you shop your coverage around, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Affordable car insurance is definitely available online and with local Portsmouth insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.