Feel like you’re a prisoner to an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, many Waterbury consumers feel financially strained by their car insurance policy. With so many companies to choose from, it can be impossible to locate the lowest price insurer.
This information will instruct you on how to effectively get price quotes and some tricks to saving. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using these methods. Connecticut drivers just need to understand the most efficient way to find the lowest price over the internet.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Waterbury
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to big savings.
Shown below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars protect occupants better and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving with no insurance is illegal and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Performance makes a difference – The type of car you drive makes a huge difference in your rates. Small economy passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are many add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Coverages like roadside assistance, accidental death and membership fees are examples of these. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Marriage translates into being more mature and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but a few need to be specially asked for in order for you to get them. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Early Switch Discount – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less compared to bad drivers.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to certain professional organizations could trigger savings when shopping for car insurance.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will cut your overall premium however.
To choose insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Waterbury, follow this link.
More information is located on the website for the Connecticut Insurance Department through this link. Connecticut consumers can read state legal mandates and laws, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and discover disciplinary actions.
Shop smart and save
When you buy insurance online, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, someone dropped liability coverage limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cost effective car insurance can be purchased from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Waterbury agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.