Finding affordable West Linn auto insurance can seem to be a challenge for beginners to comparing rates online. Consumers have so many options available that it can quickly become a challenge to find the best price in West Linn.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. The purpose of this article is to help you learn the most effective way to quote insurance and some tips to save money. But Oregon consumers must learn how insurance companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Most are applied at quote time, but some must be requested specifically in order for you to get them.
- Anti-theft Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a course in driver safety could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will reduce the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in West Linn, click here.
How to Get Auto Insurance in West Linn, OR
Most major insurance companies allow you to get pricing online. Getting online quotes is fairly simple as you simply enter as detailed in the form. After you submit the form the company’s rating system requests information on your driving record and credit history and returns a price.
This streamlines rate comparisons, but the work required to visit many different websites and complete many quote forms is not the best way to spend an afternoon. But it is imperative to get many rate quotes in order to get better prices.
A more efficient way to compare auto insurance pricing is to use a quote form that analyzes rates from more than one company. The form is fast, requires less work, and makes price shopping online much more efficient. Immediately after submitting the form, it is rated and you are able to buy any or none of the pricing results.
If a lower price is quoted, it’s easy to complete the application and purchase coverage. It only takes a few minutes and could lower your rates considerably.
To compare rates now, click here to open in new window and begin entering your coverage information. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you complete the form with your coverages identical to your current policy. This makes sure you will receive a fair comparison based on similar coverages.
What determines how much you pay?
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better auto insurance rates.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine premiums.
- Sex matters – Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Young males are several times more likely to be in an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Where you live is a factor – Choosing to live in a small town can be a good thing when buying auto insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents. Drivers in populated Oregon areas tend to have much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Many auto insurance companies provide better rates to policyholders who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Your job and insurance rates – Occupations like real estate brokers, executives and accountants tend to have higher rates than average in part from high stress levels and long work days. On the flip side, occupations like farmers, athletes and the unemployed receive lower rates.
- A clean driving record saves money – A bad driving record has a big impact on rates. Even one citation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations like DUI or reckless driving may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- How your age affects price – Teen drivers in Oregon are statistically proven to get distracted easily behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a young driver to your auto insurance policy can be very expensive. Older drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping auto theft.
Better coverage you can count on
We just presented some good ideas how you can get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a lesser-known regional company.
When shopping online for auto insurance, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheaper auto insurance is attainable online as well as from independent agents in West Linn, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
Additional consumer information websites
Additional information can be read on the Oregon Insurance Division website located here. Consumers can learn about insurance regulations, report car insurance fraud, and view agent and company licensing information.