If you’re trying to find cheaper insurance online, are you intimidated by the crazy number of auto insurance sources available to you? Maine vehicle owners have such a vast assortment of sources available that it can turn into hard work to find a more affordable company. Everyone knows Winthrop is a great city to live in, but expensive premiums for auto insurance can make it difficult for lots of drivers to afford.
You need to do rate comparisons before your next renewal because auto insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance online but you can learn some tested techniques to lower your auto insurance bill.
Buying car insurance in Winthrop is quite easy. Just about everyone who has to buy auto insurance should be able to lower their premiums. But Maine vehicle owners do need to learn how companies compete online and take advantage of how the system works.
Comparing auto insurance rates can be challenging if you don’t understand the most efficient way. You can waste hours talking about coverages with local insurance agents in Winthrop, or you can stay home and use the internet to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Most major companies belong to a marketplace that allows shoppers to enter their policy data once, and each company returns a rated price based on that information. This saves time by eliminating quotation requests for each company you want a rate for.
To find out what other companies charge click to open in new window.
The only downside to doing it this way is you can’t choose which insurance companies you want pricing from. If you would rather choose individual companies to receive pricing from, we have assembled a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Maine. Click here for list of insurance companies in Maine.
It’s up to you which method you use, but be certain you are entering identical coverage data for each comparison quote. If you have different liability limits it will be very difficult to determine the lowest rate in Winthrop. Even a minor difference in coverage limits can make a big difference in price. Keep in mind that more quotes gives you a better chance of getting more affordable rates.
Buyer beware of auto insurance advertising tricks
Companies like State Farm, Geico and Progressive consistently run ads on TV and radio. They all convey the message that you’ll save big if you just switch your coverage. How is it possible that every company can claim to save you money? It’s all in how they say it.
Different companies look for specific characteristics for the type of insured they prefer to insure. For example, this type of driver may need to be over the age of 40, has no tickets, and drives a car with an anti-theft system. A customer getting a price quote who matches that profile will get low car insurance rates and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential customers who do not fit the “perfect” profile will be quoted a higher rate with the end result being the prospect going elsewhere. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” will save that much if they switch. That is how companies can truthfully advertise the savings. Each company has different criteria, so drivers should quotes as often as possible. It is impossible to guess the company that will have the best prices.
Pay discount rates with these discounts
Some insurance providers don’t list every available discount very clearly, so the list below contains a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- Distant Student – College-age children living away from home attending college and don’t have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government could provide a small rate reduction depending on your auto insurance provider.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm permit an accident before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles may allow you to get discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a home in Winthrop can earn you a little savings because it means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their than their less cautious counterparts.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurers with discount rates in Winthrop, click this link.
Auto insurance quotes from local Winthrop insurance agencies
Some consumers prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to find an agent because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How many years have they been established?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Winthrop?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
When searching for a good insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agencies in Winthrop can either be independent (non-captive) or captive.
Captive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the captive channel have only one company to place business with like Allstate and State Farm. Captives cannot place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people purchase coverage from captives partially due to the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
These agents can quote rates with many companies so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you contact independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most independent agents also contract with lesser-known insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
The following are independent insurance agents in Winthrop who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Fairfield-Kilgore Insurance – 99 Main St – Winthrop, ME 04364 – (207) 377-6955
- Brennan Insurance – 168 Main St # A – Winthrop, ME 04364 – (207) 377-2239
To choose from more insurance agents in Winthrop, you may want to click for a list of Winthrop auto insurance agencies.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When buying the right insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation may require specific advice.
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Even more information can be found at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Consumers can view a list of available companies, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and read industry bulletins.
Compare but don’t skimp
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in responding to claim requests, high prices or policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, switching auto insurance companies is less work than it seems.
When you , it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Some insurance providers may not have price quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers sell through local independent agencies. Discount auto insurance can be found both online in addition to many Winthrop insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates.