If price shopping auto insurance online is new to you, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the vast number of online companies competing for business in Everett.
It’s important to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally because insurance rates trend upward over time. If you had the lowest price a year ago you can probably find a better price now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the proper way to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Quotes in Everett
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways to compare quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. By far the easiest way to find the lowest rates is simply to get online rate quotes. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The best way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This method keeps you from doing separate forms for each company. Filling out one form gets you price quotes from many national carriers. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A slightly less efficient method to obtain and compare quotes online is spending the time to visit the website of each company to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from Allstate, Liberty Mutual and Farmers. You would have to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Everett, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare exactly the same coverage limits for every company. If you compare mixed coverages you will not be able to determine the best price in Everett. Slightly different limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that quoting more gives you a better chance of getting better pricing.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers pay much less as compared to bad drivers.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut the cost of coverage.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the factors companies use to determine your rates.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Having a wife or husband helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other translates into being more responsible and it’s proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Drive less and save money – Driving more miles each year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your auto insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Jobs such as doctors, architects and accountants tend to have higher rates than average due to job stress and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, professions such as scientists, athletes and retirees receive lower rates.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability coverage is the protection if a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Your driving citation history has a huge affect on how much you pay. Just one moving violation may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have dangerous citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
Much more information about auto insurance in Massachusetts can be read on the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website found here. Massachusetts consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, read consumer alerts, view agent and company licensing information, and get help finding coverage.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Everett
- Little Known Techniques to Lower Everett Washington Auto Insurance
- Never Buy Everett Washington Auto Insurance Without Knowing These Money Saving Methods
How can 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm save drivers who switch?
Auto insurance companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm continually stream ads in print and on television. They all seem to make the same claim that you’ll save big after switching your coverage to them. How does each company make the same claim?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the right customer that makes them money. A good example of a desirable insured might be between 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has great credit. A driver who fits that profile will get the preferred rates and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Drivers who do not match the “perfect” profile will be charged more money which leads to the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. That’s the way companies can make the claims of big savings.
That is why it is so important to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s impossible to know which company will have the lowest rates.
One last thing
People switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, not issuing a premium refund, policy non-renewal and even high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
We covered many tips how you can get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is available online in addition to many Everett insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.