Feeling guilty for buying an overpriced auto insurance policy? Say no more because you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse. You have so many auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, it can be more difficult to locate the cheapest rates.
It’s important to check auto insurance prices once or twice a year because prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the best rates a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn one of the best ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
The purpose of this article is to instruct you on how to get online quotes and some tips to save money. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using these tips. Colorado vehicle owners only need to know the most effective way to shop their coverage around over the internet.
Find hidden discounts to get affordable New Castle auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to help offset the cost. Many discounts should be triggered when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not really a discount, but certain companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to enroll and complete driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for buying a new policy early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can save you money because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts include:
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for business and professional, pay in full, mature driver, youthful driver, multi-car, and electronic funds transfer.
- Esurance discounts include homeowner, Switch & Save, paid-in-full, multi-car, online quote, good driver, and safety device.
- State Farm may have discounts that include accident-free, safe vehicle, student away at school, passive restraint, good student, and multiple autos.
- Geico offers discounts including five-year accident-free, defensive driver, good student, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and driver training.
- Allstate policyholders can earn discounts including EZ pay plan discount, anti-lock brakes, senior citizen, 55 and retired, new car, and early signing.
If you need , ask all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in New Castle. For a list of insurance companies with significant discounts in New Castle, click here.
Smart buyers can lower your rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that may result in big savings. Lots of things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, although some other factors are less apparent such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
- Auto insurance claims cost money – If you file a lot of claims don’t be surprised to see either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Colorado provide cheaper rates to policyholders who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Car insurance liability insurance limits – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you if you are found liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- You may save more by bundling policies – Many insurers will give a discount to policyholders who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to ensure the best deal.
- If you don’t need it don’t buy it – Insurance policies have a lot of extra coverages that can add up if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for things like coverage for rental cars, accident forgiveness, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Can a thief steal your car? – Purchasing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Driving citations inflate rates – How you drive impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Having just one ticket can boost insurance rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have received serious tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Gender impacts rates – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women have fender benders in similar percentages, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically receive more costly citations like reckless driving and DUI. Males from age 16 to 21 have the highest risk to insure so they pay the highest premiums.
It’s not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions may help you determine if you might need professional guidance.
- Should I buy only the required Colorado minimum liability coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Colorado?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in New Castle?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-67.jpg" alt="New Castle car insurance prices” />
Getting quotes from local New Castle auto insurance agents
Some people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Most agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about price shopping on the web is you can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local agencies is especially important in New Castle.
By using this simple form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You don’t have to find an agent on your own since price quotes are sent to your email. If you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
If you want a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that you can select. Auto insurance agents in New Castle can be described as either captive agents or independent agents. Either one can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it is important to understand the subtle differences since it could factor into buying decisions.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not employed by any specific company so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and find the cheapest rate. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house which requires no work on your part. If you need lower rates, you should always get some free quotes from multiple independent agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in New Castle that can give you pricing information.
T C Chappie Cook Agency – 312 W Main – New Castle, CO 81647 – (970) 984-2928
Captive agents are contracted to one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Captives cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies are well trained in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Choosing an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
Auto insurance ads are enticing
Colorado drivers get pounded daily by advertisements that claim the cheapest car insurance rates from companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive. They all make the point that people will save just by moving your auto insurance coverage to their company.
How does every company cost less than your current company? It’s all in how they say it.
Auto insurance companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them a profit. An example of a profitable insured should be between 30 and 50, has had continuous coverage, and drives a safe vehicle. A driver who fits those characteristics will get a cheap rate quote and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who may not quite match this stringent profile will be charged a higher rate and this can result in the customer buying from a different company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “drivers who switch” not “everyone who quotes” save that kind of money. That is how companies can advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, you absolutely need to get price quotes at each policy renewal. It’s impossible to know the company that will have the best car insurance rates.
Much more information about auto insurance in Colorado can be read on the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance website located here. Visitors are able to find out industry alerts, read industry bulletins, learn about insurance regulations, and get help finding coverage.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Paying Too Much for Car Insurance in New Castle Pennsylvania? Heres How to Save!
- Techniques for Paying Less for New Castle Delaware Car Insurance Rates
- Methods for Effectively Comparing New Castle Delaware Auto Insurance Rates
Leave no stone unturned
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding . Drivers may discover the most savings is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than the large multi-state companies such as Geico and State Farm.